Canon 7D MII unleashed!

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by Overread, Sep 15, 2014.

1. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think Burger King should make cameras so we can have it our way, as long as the price is right.

In a different post, I see that Nikon has 800 different models to choose from but folks are disappointed with Canon for not putting pressure on Nikon to make another...........huh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, maybe that's for the best though. I mean after all the "secret sauce" is really just ketchup and mayo mixed together.

Yup. That's all Canon's fault. I also blame them for the AIDS virus, Chernobyl and of course the Macarena. I could probably forgive them for the first two.. but the third? Never.

Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    Darn you Rob Benz... I can avoid doing the dance (and thus avoid a trip to emergency for a hip replacement). However, I can't keep that song out of my head. It normally lasts for a day or two. UGHHHHHH

WIfey will have to put up with it; I'm blaming YOU!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    As one commenter wrote, this first photo, done at ISO 6,400 at blue hour, is "simply horrible." http://canon-premium.webcdn.stream.ne.jp/www09/canon-premium/eosd/samples/eos7dmk2/downloads/06.jpg

Ummmm...yeah...that's not very good resolving ability. And the shot of the squirrel, done in daylight at ISO 3,200? Ugggg...massive noise reduction has killed the detail--on a shot done with the Canon EF 200-400 f/4 L IS USM zoom lens...http://canon-premium.webcdn.stream.ne.jp/www09/canon-premium/eosd/samples/eos7dmk2/downloads/07.jpg The 200-400 L is a $11,799 lens...and sample pictures like this one do NOTHING to build confidence among the people who want this camera for birding or nature photography. This is one of Canon's premier, new tele-zoom lenses, and the quality shown in the full-size image of this squirrel is abysmally poor. Let us hope that these higher-ISO images are just the result of an incompetent shooter, and not what the camera typically can produce. Early sample images are often not all that great, due to a variety of reasons, so I'm not judging these as anything approaching "final" image quality potential. For one thing, I have no idea what software was used to make the JPGS, and no idea of the skill of the worker involved.

5. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    Dangit. This is where I suck (my eyes especially at times). I am looking at the squirrel and it looks great to me (not $12,000 great) but sharp. Keep in mind I am still a baby to much of this. But are my eyes deceiving me? I know when I do massive noise reduction in lightroom at least, photos take on a look not far from over cooked hdr. I need to take a better look when I get home.

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah from memory most early sneak peek photos from most cameras are underwhelming - its once the camera is out that it tends to get better results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    YES--that has been the case more often than not. There were some dreadful Canon 5D classic sample images floated, but it turned out to be a really good imager. Right now, I would guess that the majority of people with beta sample cameras have software that cannot really extract the most from the new camera's .CR2 files, and they probably are resorting to converting to .DNG and then working on their images. My feeling is the guy who processed the night scene and squirrel images is a young fellow who thinks that killing every last speck of noise and in the process ruining the detail rendering is the way to work on High ISO files, and he made the camera's capabilities look very sub-par. Both the night scene and the squirrel shot look like about 4 megapixel captures...no noise, but mush for detail. That cannot be the way this sensor operates.

8. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I thought about that at lunch Monday when I was drooling over the 7D mk ii. I am going to have to upgrade my OS so that I can go to CC in order to process the images from the 7D mk ii. I'll bet that adobe won't put out an update for LR4 to be able to read the files.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The other element is that even when there is custom software each camera takes its own style to work with to get the best results. Sometimes early on people don't know "how" to work the software to get best effects out of the camera.

10. JohnTrav

JohnTrav No longer a newbie, moving up!

My brother has his 7D mkii on pre-order. I can't wait to try it out and compare it to my 7D. I'm sure after that I will be wanting one for shooting the sports that I do.

I also can't wait to see how its low light performance will look. I seen some high iso shots that looked good but they were in well lit areas still

11. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    I know very little on what this means. In my searching for how the auto focus system works, I found this. No clue if it's good or bad and I won't be shooting much in the dark anyway.
    072A0185 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

12. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

JacaRanda, I saw that collection this weekend on flickr. Here is the entire set of photos taken with the 7D mk ii at various ISO's. I was impressed with them. Canon 7D Mark II - an album on Flickr

I don't feel that this one is usable but I was impressed that at ISO 51,200 at 1/160 of a second, it wasn't horrible. 037A1301 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!