Canon 7d out of my skill set?

Not familiar with pbase.com, but maybe they have privacy settings? I know on some you have to make an image or album "public" for it to be visible to others.

I know this is total noob talk, but I have always had problems uploading my photos to the site even with tutorial. I host my pics at pbase.com, and I can see the image in the previewed post before posting but then they are never shown. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

He is what I do..

1. Go to pbase.com
2. Click on image
3. Right click on properties to get image URL
4. Paste that into image URL link
5. Hit ok

I see it, but others don't.
Just make it easier and use flickr. Right click on the image, copy image location... paste in the image tags.

The image link needs to be enclosed between two bits of code, which are

The tutorial, the last time I checked, failed to include this critical bit of information, and has been, functionally, incorrect for years now; the original tutorial was geared toward uploading from a particular, specific host that has long since lost favor, and has thus been as useless as teats on a boar for use with other hosting sites...that is why hundreds of people have been unable to get their photos to appear: the instructions are functionally incorrect...

The image link needs to be enclosed between two bits of code, which are

The tutorial, the last time I checked, failed to include this critical bit of information, and has been, functionally, incorrect for years now; the original tutorial was geared toward uploading from a particular, specific host that has long since lost favor, and has thus been as useless as teats on a boar for use with other hosting sites...that is why hundreds of people have been unable to get their photos to appear: the instructions are functionally incorrect...

I updated the site tutorial and I'm sure its got the part about the image tags listed as well as how to host based on various different image hosts (including the sites own gallery). If there is still a specific error that you can see send me a pm with the details and I'll adjust it.

I know this is total noob talk, but I have always had problems uploading my photos to the site even with tutorial. I host my pics at pbase.com, and I can see the image in the previewed post before posting but then they are never shown. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

He is what I do..

1. Go to pbase.com
2. Click on image
3. Right click on properties to get image URL
4. Paste that into image URL link
5. Hit ok

I see it, but others don't.

Check your privacy settings on your pbase.com account. Chances are you've got your account set to private or have something like external hotlinking not allowed. It sounds like you're account is preventing others seeing the work, which means its got a lock somewhere at the pbase end of things rather than the forum itself.

There was a lot in your post Jones, but I do want to address these two things, because I believe the answers are relatively straightforward.

I'm also wondering why the color is noticeably better when I shoot in scene mode versus in manual, even when I use VERY similar ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings. The meta data looks pretty close except for white balance red, blue coefficients (whatever that is).

Color and exposure are two separate things. ISO, shutter, and aperture are only related to exposure. The color is determined by white balance. In auto mode, the white balance is likely on auto as well. You can use auto white balance in manual mode, but it sounds like you have it set to a preset. If I'm shooting RAW, I use auto white balance, because I'm able to adjust it in post, and it's nice to know what the camera thought it should be. On the rare occasion that I shoot jpg however, I set the white balance manually in camera, to make sure I get it right, and also to make sure that it's consistent from shot to shot. Auto will change depending on what colors are in the scene. You can search the forums and google on how to properly set white balance, there's a lot of material on it.

I was also completely unaware that even a really good (~$200) lens (mine is a Nikon 35mm 1.8) does not shoot very clearly above f11 or so or under 2.8.

So.. this varies a lot from lens to lens. Really good is always relative in optics. My 35mm costs about $1800, and I'm comfortable with it's sharpness all the way from f/1.4 (in the center) and f/2.0 (on the edges) up to f/16. My 24mm is nearly as expensive, and still not tack sharp until f/2.2-2.5. The best thing you can do is shoot your lens in various conditions so you can learn how it best performs. Some situations you'll be able to push it's limits, and others you'll know to be conservative. You can also look up lab tests for pretty much every lens in production. Simply seeing on a graph what kind of sharpness is available at what settings for a given piece of glass can help you optimize your shooting around your equipment as well. In addition, sharpness is lost in a number of different ways. There is no "fuzziness" aberration in optics, it always happens as a result of spherical aberration, CA, diffraction, or some other property or combination of. When you look at the lab tests, you'll get an explanation of what's causing the questionable results, and you can adjust your technique to compensate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back