Canon 7D owners..

At the current time, I would guess the software that it came with!

Lightroom 2.5 is the latest (Sept 15th) and it added support for the D300s, D3000, E-P1, and two new Panasonics.

I don't think there's an update for ACR yet either.

So, until they release updates for LR or ACR, you're stuck with DPP. It shouldn't be too long before Adobe releases updates.

I finally found some answers on Aperture. It took Apple 3-4 weeks to make updates for the 5dmk2 so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

For those who have the 7D and aperture you can send Apple some feedback to hopefully push them along at Apple - Aperture - Feedback

Well, as soon as mine ships (2 weeks ...) I'll be using Lightroom.

A friend of mine who recently bought a 7D says that Lightroom can open the uncompressed RAW files. I think he uses the latest version of Lightroom.

Yeah, I sent one of my RAW files from my 7D to a friend that uses Lightroom and he opened it up no problem. I almost broke down and spent the $280 on Lightroom, but I'm going to try to stick it out with Apple. I just don't want to spend the money right now. (Especially right after buying a new camera!)

Just did a quick google.

- 7D is unsupported in Lightroom 2.5 and ACR 5.5
- Yes Lightroom will open some of the files, but a quick look down under the profile tab says "BETA" in big letters.
- The ability to open is sketchy. One user reported most of his files would open, another reported more than half produced an unrecognised file error. Same result in both Lightroom and ACR.
- Apparently if you can open your file the quality out of Lightroom for the 7D at this point is poor. Users on other forums are reporting visible noise from their ISO100 shots along with heavily oversaturated colours.

Why the hell did canon make a Crop frame Pro DSLR anyway? and why did everyone buy it?

My guess is because it was new or they thought those hoax pictures of the Canon camera with nikon mounts was real that had dvd disc and photoshop built in etc..

Why the hell did canon make a Crop frame Pro DSLR anyway? and why did everyone buy it?

My guess is because it was new or they thought those hoax pictures of the Canon camera with nikon mounts was real that had dvd disc and photoshop built in etc..

My guess would be upgrade. Getting the the 7D after using the 20D since it was released seemed like a good idea.

Could be because smaller sensors are far cheaper to make. Could be because the Nikon D300 was many times more of a camera than the 50D so Canon didn't have a competitor. Could be because quite a few pros prefer the APS-C sensor (especially wildlife photographers who'd rather buy a 400mm than a 600mm lens). Could be because there is a market for a pro APS-C camera (clearly since people bought Nikon D1, D2x, and D2h).

Why did people buy it? Could be because it's a good camera at a good price.

If it weren't 10pm I'm sure I could come up with like 20 more reasons.

Yup, that's exactly why I bought two 7D's. Yup, those pics really got me. And I was really stoked about the 7D having PS CS5 built-in to the camera. Too bad about that. *rolls eyes*

They did it because they were pushing boundaries on a whole lot of fronts. A good ol' redesign of just about everything, from the sensor to the viewfinder to the processors (and they put two of them in there which means better battery life to boot). I highly suspect that things the 7D team discovered in engineering it were used to further perfect the 1D MkIV. Not to mention plenty of very experienced photographers will use crop sensors for the sake of having higher pixel densities. A crop sensor camera body, capable of 8fps with an 18MP sensor is something many nature and sports photographers would understandably be interested in. Oh, and the fact that it costs less than a 5D MkII by about $1,000 is nice too.

Oh yeah, and the AF system is Canon's most advanced yet, period, hands down. No, not even the AF points of the 1D series can compete head-to-head (though they do have many more points). Oh, and hey, they also did a great job with video and have thus provided budding videographers with something to chew on. Until they release the 1D MkIV, the 7D is Canon's best camera is several areas.

Anyway, I digress. MRAW and SRAW aren't supported by LR 2.5 and ACR 2.5. The uncompressed RAWs are, but generally need some odd tweaking in post. I've used a colour card to calibrate both of my 7D's, so these oddities have been significantly lessened for me. Otherwise, the images coming from it are fine and quite usable for my purposes (which right now is mainly shooting a veritable myriad of subjects for a twice-a-week newspaper with online articles as well).

Yeah.... Canon didn't have a D300(s). It doesn't make a lot of sense to leave gaps in your line-up. Of course, they tried to do better than Nikon. It was a smart move, and Nikon should take note. Also, the price gap between the 50D and 5D Mk II was too large -- they needed another high-end consumer DSLR to fill that gap. People who buy a 7D often claim that they can't afford a 5D II. Or they may have upgraded from a 20D and have a lot of "crop frame" glass.

Why did so many people buy it? Canon's marketing campaign was pretty impressive, I thought.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back