Canon 7D sees dead people.

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Support - EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - EOS 35mm SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - Digital SLR Camera - EOS 7D - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Phenomenon
In images captured by continuous shooting, and under certain conditions, barely noticeable traces of the immediately preceding frame may be visible. This phenomenon is not noticeable in an image with optimal exposure. The phenomenon may become more noticeable if a retouching process such as level compensation is applied to emphasize the image.

LOL... that didn't take long. The first service notice. I guess it's not a full blown recall... whew. You have to wonder how some of this stuff makes it through testing prior to release.

Support - EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - EOS 35mm SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - Digital SLR Camera - EOS 7D - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Phenomenon
In images captured by continuous shooting, and under certain conditions, barely noticeable traces of the immediately preceding frame may be visible. This phenomenon is not noticeable in an image with optimal exposure. The phenomenon may become more noticeable if a retouching process such as level compensation is applied to emphasize the image.

LOL... that didn't take long. The first service notice. I guess it's not a full blown recall... whew. You have to wonder how some of this stuff makes it through testing prior to release.

Interesting. I was shooting a hummingbird today at rapid sequence and I don't see any evidence of it, but will have to keep my eyes open.

Honestly in the examples I have seen you really do have to edit the shots a certain way to get the effect to show enough - and even then its just a ghosting. OK it should not be there in the first place, but with proper exposures and lighter level editing in the testing phase I can see how this might have slipped though.

Honestly in the examples I have seen you really do have to edit the shots a certain way to get the effect to show enough - and even then its just a ghosting. OK it should not be there in the first place, but with proper exposures and lighter level editing in the testing phase I can see how this might have slipped though.
I don't know, I guess I would expect them to be analyzing the data captured of test images and not just eyeballing the images that the camera produces... looking for pattern noise, ghost artifacts, things like that digitally. I guess my expectations are a bit unrealistic. :)

Less than one month after introduction, Canon issued firmware update 1.09. Initial cameras shipped with firmware 1.07. A number of users are reporting AF problems--mostly professional sports and news shooters. And that's not all...

The camera''s widely touted 8 frames per second frame rate drops/slows down in low light conditions
7D, 8FPS? only in good light! - FM Forums

here is an example of the ghost image problem, in this FM thread Known 7D problems - FM Forums

and another sample

7D Ghost Images - FM Forums
377731.jpg

Even with a fast shutter speed set indoors, the 7D will drop below its 8 fps firing rate,so widely touted and so desired by pro sports shooters.

As one owner reports, "If the light entering the camera drops below proper exposure for ISO3200, 1/100 and f2.8, then the number of shots per second starts to drop. All auto settings off, fully manual exposure, and no focusing going on. Moving the camera from dark to light areas while running causes the frame rate to go up and going into a dark area makes it drop. All of this in what is fully manual operation. The same thing does not happen with the 20D nor the 40D. They hold on to their maximum frame rate no matter what. It does not make sense that the camera has to do this. What this implies is that if you want to do high speed frames in darker situations you might be out of luck and the 40D will do better! "--end owner quote

Who remembers the "black dots" issue that every early shipping 5D Mark II had? yeah, one would think Canon might atually look hard an evaluate images before selling cameras, but it seems like a rush to get things out the door ASAP. A firmware update just three weeks after shipping the first cameras? "Ridonculous," as Jimmy Fallon says.

Didn't Nikon have to recall one of their recent releases - or recall a significant number of them for repairs?

just evening the score - morning all!

As for the FPS bit that does leave me somewhat confused - but I'm thinking that the cause is noise reduction based. A well exposed shot will have less noise and thus less processing is needed - whilst an underexposed shot will (most often) have more noise to combat -- so it might be that when the camera detects underexposure in a shot it applies more noise reduction to that shot in editing - thus lowering the FPS. Chances are this might be turn offable through some custom fuction in the main meun

erm Dao --- methinks you can read something most here can't even begin to fathom ;)

:) me think some online translator do work sometimes (with guessing)

Who remembers the "black dots" issue that every early shipping 5D Mark II had? yeah, one would think Canon might atually look hard an evaluate images before selling cameras, but it seems like a rush to get things out the door ASAP. A firmware update just three weeks after shipping the first cameras? "Ridonculous," as Jimmy Fallon says.

Not at all, I say. Cameras are not the simple beings of film days. They are highly sophisticated, nightmarishly complicated, super-specialized computers. And then there's the software to go with it. Software is fixable, hardware, not so much. And, like all software, the original developer doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of catching every last little detail. They probably dealt with the more major, and far less rare issues first (go figure). It's only when you hand over your software and hardware to the general public that you suddenly get a gigantic number of testers, using the bloody thing in every manner imaginable, and bugs are bound to crop up.

So, I've got no qualms with fast firmware updates. Hell, they could've pulled a Microsoft and waited three months before fixing anything. Or even a year. But then people would get angry about them waiting so long, just like they're angry about them moving too fast. ;)

Point, these machines are far too complicated to get perfect right out the door. It's the price we early adopters pay for being on the bleeding edge. If 7D owners out there weren't expecting hiccups, they're really, really naive.

Anyway, I have confidence that Canon is going to fix-up their errors. (I kinda laugh at the erroneous flash exposure problem. Oh noes! A slightly off frame, on digital! Ack! Just shoot another one for goodness sake. :lol: )

Didn't Nikon have to recall one of their recent releases - or recall a significant number of them for repairs?
Yeah, the D5000 had not one but two recalls right after release. It seems that the race Nikon and Canon are in to get new products to market couple of months is causing them to get very sloppy in their development.

But that doesn't excuse Canon's sloppiness. I've also read about the 7D's AF problems.

It seems to me the 7D's new 19 point AF system wasn't fully tested... and smacks of the 1D3 debacle.

Canon has been using its early buyers as beta testers for quite some time now. Yes, the D5000 had some problems and Nikon recalled the cameras to fix the problems but more importantly they tried to recall most cameras BEFORE they had been SOLD. The serial number check page is here for Nikon D5000 users Select Language Punch in your serial number and see if you have the faulty electronic component. Not all cameras have the bad component, and Nikon knows the serial number range of the affected cameras.

With the 7D, early buyers might be thought of as beta testers. Something like 19 days after cameras became available the first firmware update was issued. And now, another firmware update is being prepared something like 30 days into the camera's life, this one for ghost images from previous frames being recorded?

The first update from 1.07 to 1.09 was to stop the camera's shutter from freezing up when using the pop-up flash or an external speedlight. Now the 7D can exhibit ghost images? And its widely touted 8 frames per second firing rate simply slows down at light levels below f/2.8 at 1/100 second at ISO 3200? Whooops! There goes night high school football out the window, probably the most widely-shot newspaper sport in North America.

The 7D is supposed to be a pro backup, a lightweight D300 competitor for discerning buyers. I feel bad for people who were counting on the 8 FPS firing ability at all light levels, but seriously, losing firing rate at ISO 3200 at f/2.8 at 1/100...that is also f/2 at 1/200 and f/1.4 at 1/400 second--that is not "that" low a light level for a camera to slow down. An no, it's not i-camera noise reduction causing the slowdown at lower light levels, and the problem is not user-correctable. Sports shooters will be PO'd about that limitation, which is mentioned on page 93 of the manual.
I feel bad for Canon's early buyers. I've checked into the problems on other forums,and the return rate on a camera of this class is not comforting to dealers, I am sure. I own three Canon d-slr's: a 2nd gen Rebel I just got a few months ago, a 20D I have had for years,and a 5D. I am in the market for a 20D replacement as my "snapshot/birthday party/day trip" camera and I had hoped the 7D would be an improved 5D, with fast focusing,etc. I'm bummed about the way the 7D turned out, in a few aspects at least.

Sounds like the shutter is not up to the job of shooting 8FPS like the 1D, they should have kept it to 6FPS because you don't need 8FPS

Yeah, the D5000 had not one but two recalls right after release. It seems that the race Nikon and Canon are in to get new products to market couple of months is causing them to get very sloppy in their development.

But that doesn't excuse Canon's sloppiness. I've also read about the 7D's AF problems.

It seems to me the 7D's new 19 point AF system wasn't fully tested... and smacks of the 1D3 debacle.

And you were moaning that the 1DMK4 didn't have similar focusing

Most reactions

Back