Canon 7D Video Feature Question

MrsWRX85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to purchase the Canon 7D. The sales rep at a local camera store told me that the Canon 7D can only record up to 12 minutes only before the camera becomes too hot to continue. Is this true?

Yes, I believe it is limited to something like that. 12 sounds about right. Maybe it was 14. I can't remember. Go to the website and download the manual and you can learn anything you want. I just got my 7D and really am not a video person, I would be happier if it didn't even have video, but maybe had some other features instead.

Did you decide on the 7D over the 50D?

Would the 50D be a better choice (if video isn't important)?

When the sensor heats up, you get the same effect as shooting at ISO-12 billion. So, you shoot a little, take a break, continue. Of course, it's less of a problem in the dead of Winter and more on a bright sunny beach. But realistically, do you anticipate a need for more than 12 minutes in a scene? Hollywood doesn't.

I am looking to purchase the Canon 7D. The sales rep at a local camera store told me that the Canon 7D can only record up to 12 minutes only before the camera becomes too hot to continue. Is this true?

Wait, what? lol the salesman has the right minute figure, but his reasoning for it is idiotic.

The camera *IS* limited to 12-minute clips (just as any DSLR will be) but not because of the sensor over-heating. It's limited because all DSLRs format their cards in FAT32, which has a 4Gb-per-file limit.

On average, at either 720p/60 or 1080p/30 you reach the 4Gb limit at around 12 minutes. If it were possible to continue recording but just split to another file, it would keep going.

I don't know why the salesman at a camera store would make up something ridiculous like that. I'm also surprised nobody else realized this error until now

He's not making it up. While file limitations are true, after about 10 minutes of shooting with a DSLR, the sensor gets hot. Specifically, individual pixels get hot. The picture degrades rapidly. A dedicated camcorder has much more cooling designed in. It can get away with longer shooting time. A DSLR gets hot pretty fast. And this is true at any resolution from 480p to 1080p.

He's not making it up. While file limitations are true, after about 10 minutes of shooting with a DSLR, the sensor gets hot. Specifically, individual pixels get hot. The picture degrades rapidly. A dedicated camcorder has much more cooling designed in. It can get away with longer shooting time. A DSLR gets hot pretty fast. And this is true at any resolution from 480p to 1080p.

I understand that it gets warm, but unless you're in 85-90+ degree weather it's not really an issue. I've taken videos right up to the 12-minute limit and the beginning and end of the video look identical in terms of IQ.

Thank you all very much for your inputs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back