What's new

Canon 7D - What will I like about it?

GeorgieGirl

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
2,469
Reaction score
325
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Its heavier than I am accustomed to against my Rebel XTI, but that won't stop me. I had one in my hands today and it seemed easy enough for settings, I've had Canon's for years...back into the film days. I have a few heavy lenses and I keep my tripod mount on too even for handheld usually unless I am traveling without a tripod.

I'm pretty excited about this camera. :D I have a 17-55 IS and a 70-200L IS and a Sigma 10-20 to work with.

I move my current camera around by a good solid grip on the lenses, the back end being so tiny. Don't think I can do that with this kettlebell, but it might feel less top-heavy and unbalanced in my hand with the lenses on. I hope so.

So putting the weight aside, what will I enjoy most with this upgrade?
What else should I expect?
 
Expect to have to spend time calibrating and setting the custom functions for the AF to be just right for your needs. The AF system is far more complex than just point and shoot. So be prepared to have to read up on that fact.
 
Like Overread said, the autofocus system will take a little time to get set up exactly the way you want. Its way more complex then the XTi. Also, you will really like the lens Microfocus adjustment to really dial in all of your lenses. Sounds like the weight and size will be a welcome addition for you. The only part you may not like is dealing with the larger files in post. I am trying to find a "cheat sheet" with all autofocus functions in detail and some suggested settings as a starting point. I found something similar for my 1DmkIV that really sped up the process for me and allowed me a basis to start with and I adjusted from there until it was perfect for me.
 
At first the change will feel a little clumsy, and learning the features may seem tedious, there are so many.
After a few months, the size and weight will become familar and the opportunity the different feature present will make you happy you purchased this camera. Each week I shoot with it I like the camera more and more.
 
So putting the weight aside, what will I enjoy most with this upgrade?
What else should I expect?
The 8 FPS! :) and HD movie capabilities if you ever use it. Better ISO capabilities. I jumped from a 10D to a 7D so my experience might be overkill, especially because I had to work without autofocus for 3 months prior to the 7D. Autofocus tracking is really good. But yeah, you gotta figure out which settings you like the best. (I.e. how sensitive you want the camera to be in terms of tracking new subjects) Enjoy!
 
Thanks all...I just opened the box and the battery (large) is charging. We'll see how it goes! :D
 
So here is what I think about the 7D about 30 days or so into the new camera...

Wow, this focus system is a challenge. I know I am losing focus on some shots, not many, but more than on my Rebel XTI, and it is bothering me. I really don't think this camera is meant for portraits that move like 3 year old kids over this past weekend.

The camera feels very, very good in the hand, the viewfinder is awesome and I have gotten used to the top controls on a vertical style, I am a left hand down, not a left hand over. I have not calibrated lenses since the ones I use are zooms but will calibrate my Xmas gift as soon as I get it...you know, the 85mm 1.8 I am all excited about. :thumbup:

I'm not sure what to do about the AF system except want to pull out my pocket Lumix and use the IA and its amazing face detection system. Why can't all cameras have face detection to make it simple???:confused:

Some recent prints were incredibly sharp and I could not have asked or wanted for more. I have some others that I want to print, and of course its going to be a photo kind of weekend.

No regrets with this purchase, its just not everything I could ever want, not sure such a thing exists so we will see where it goes from here but if the next round of prints come out as amazing as the last, then I will have to put on my big girl photographer panties and stop the whining.

Ho Ho Ho.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom