Canon AE-1 [SLR]

**Sarahh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just recently got a Canon AE-1 [handed down to me]. It's in fantastic shape as far as I can tell, although I'm not entirely sure how to use it.
Our main problem is that we have no idea whether there is film inside.
We have no instruction manual and no one to ask, eventually we'll have to take it to a camera shop to get everything figured out but I'd at least like to try on my own.

Every time I take a picture [now I'm not too sure about the battery either...?] the numbers [next to the ASA] go up one. Right now I'm at six. Now that would indicate that I'm taking pictures, would it not?

Does anyone have one, any helpful tips?

Last edited:
The film counter will increment if there is no film.

To see if there is film ... take the film takeup reel on the left top side the of camera body ... and turn it clockwise.
If you feel resistance (and eventually you cannot wind any further) ... then there is film.
If it freely turns (endlessly) ... then there is no film.

The film counter will increment if there is no film.

To see if there is film ... take the film takeup reel on the left top side the of camera body ... and turn it clockwise.
If you feel resistance (and eventually you cannot wind any further) ... then there is film.
If it freely turns (endlessly) ... then there is no film.
It can turn clockwise endlessly but it can only go counter clockwise like three times before getting all tight.

Dao, thanks :)

OK. That means there is a film canister in the camera ... but is has been completely rewound.

You can open the camera back and remove it.
You might want to get it developed to see what was previously shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back