Lighting Setup- What do I buy??? HELP!

cmsmitty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to take home pictures of my daughters over the next couple of years and I need good lighting. I currently have 2 umbrella lights and they are NOT cutting it for me. I need more light!

I have read all about Soft box and strobe lights, but I am totally confused on what to buy and I don't want to spend a fortune (this is a hobby). Most pictures will be inside with a white backdrop. Any recco's would be great!

For shooting people, I really recommend flash (strobe) lights over constant lighting. While there is a steeper learning curve, it makes it much easier to get nice crisp shots.

Once you have decided on the type of lights you want, then you can choose which modifiers you will get to go with them. Umbrellas & softboxes are used to make the light softer, which is usually preferred for shooting portraits. They essentially do the same thing but they obviously have their differences.

So what is your budget?
"I don't want to spend a fortune" means different things to different people.

I would like to take home pictures of my daughters over the next couple of years and I need good lighting. I currently have 2 umbrella lights and they are NOT cutting it for me. I need more light!

I have read all about Soft box and strobe lights, but I am totally confused on what to buy and I don't want to spend a fortune (this is a hobby). Most pictures will be inside with a white backdrop. Any recco's would be great!
Speedlights give the advantages of easy portability because they are small and battery powered.

You don't mention what brand of camerayou have but many Nikon and Canon cameras have a built-in wireless triggering system for speedlights that are set up off camera. There are also inexpensive radio triggers available for hobby use. Medium gray makes a more versatile background color than white IMO.

Ideally less than $250...is that even possible??
I have A Nikon D60 and a Precision Design DSLR300 Universal Flash.

Ok dumb question-- is a strobe a flash that sits on your camera or something you put on a tripod?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok dumb question-- is a strobe a flash that sits on your camera or something you put on a tripod?
For the most part, the terms strobe and flash can be used interchangeably. However, it's common that we say a 'flash' is the unit that can sit in the camera' hot shoe and a 'strobe' is a studio style light that goes onto a light stand and plugs into a power outlet. But you can also use a flash on a light stand (or tripod etc).

HERE are some kits for using flash units on stands.

Stop. Take a huge breath and SLOW DOWN. :)

It is INCREDIBLE what one can do with a couple of good speedlights. Every day I am always more and more impressed. Knowledge makes a huge difference.

Time to spend some valuable study time and lots of practice thanks to the Strobist site. Look for Lighting 101 and Lighting 102 links, and start from there. Read, practice, learn!

I cannot overpower the sun, but I can come very close with 2 good speedlights (bare) on full power under certain very bright circumstances:
3811006767_c9095f4495.jpg

The sun in this shot is just behind the cloud/vane of this windmill... it doesn't get any more impressive than this in terms of a display of power and possibilities.

Last edited:
Why not head to the Adorama web site and purchase a FlashPoint monolight or two..they are very affordable,and will easily be more powerful than something like a 60 watt-second SB800 or 580-EX II speedlight. That way you will have modeling lights, so you can see where your catchlights and your shadows fall. Speedlights are fine for more experienced shooters, but I think beginners learn better and faster by having modeling lights, plus having modeling lights allows your camera's AF system to focus better indoors, and also avoids those "raccoon pupil eyes" that come from blasting people sitting in a semi-darkened room with a couple of speedlights.

Right now, the FlashPoint model II 320 is selling for $99.95 with free shipping. It's a 150 watt-second unit. You could buy two for $200,and use the umbrellas and light stands that you already have.

Monolights

Most reactions

New Topics

Back