Canon AT-1

aghastpumpkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK i posted about this in my intro, but here seems a better place!!!
I have recently inherited a Canon AT-1 SLR, with a 28, 50 and 120mm lenses, the formers being Canon the latter a Sirius.
It also has a large flash attachment.
This camera has a purchase date of 1980, so it's quite old, but I have been informed by people in the know that slrs have not changed much in the last twenty or so years, as the basic concept of what-you-see-is-what-you-get is unchanged.
I just wodnered, is this camera any good?
Will it be suitable for my forthcoming sicth form photography course of duration 2 years?

I had an AT1 for a number of years. They are a good basic camera. I'm sorry I parted with mine.

As long as you can controll the shutter and aperature its good for any photo school. It looks like the AE-1 which millions were made so it shoudl suit you just fine.

The AT1 is totaly manual. No shutter priority auto like the AE1.

aghastpumpkin said:
I just wodnered, is this camera any good?
Will it be suitable for my forthcoming sicth form photography course of duration 2 years?

I have had one for 25 years and it has served me well. I am sure it will do the same for you.

An excellent camera to learn with as it is all manual. Might want to take it to a repair shop to be checked out though. If it hasn't been serviced recently it will no doubt need a CLA and light seals. Shouldn't cost too much.

Well, it's broken on me a week before my photography practical mock exam.
Everytime you click the shutter, the timer lamp flashes, even though you are not trying to take a picture with the timer. It then flashes non-stop. It also does not wind on.
I have no idea why, or how to fix it, help would ne gratefully received, however, I think it appears to be broken. It does have some serious rleiability issues.
I will probably take it to Jessops to see what they think, and to service it, if that can be done. Oh well, looks like a Centon K400 is going to have to be!

Most reactions

Back