Canon body question?

MrBean17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings to all.

I am jumping back in to the photography world after a lengthy hiatus due to work and family "business". This is, and always will be a hobby of mine and something that I have truly enjoyed. I started out several years ago with a Canon 10D and some Sigma lenses shooting my children's sports activities and some travel photos during vacations. Then I stepped away for awhile....a long while, and here I am. My question has to do with which body would be best for me to purchase. My lens situation is solid so far; 85mm f/1.4 IS USM, 24-70mm f/2.8 II USM, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS III USM and a 2x extender. I have been fortunate to be in a position to obtain these and I want to purchase a body that will be best for my bag. I want to shoot everything; family portraits, HS senior style street shots, weddings, local sports, nature, landscape, etc. I am currently deciding between a DSLR and Mirrorless. Question to all of you experts and enthusiasts, which of the two should I lean towards?

EOS R5 vs EOS R3 vs EOS-1D X III

I am looking for versatility with all subjects.

I appreciate all of your feedback ahead of time, thank you.

Mr. Bean

Greetings to all.

I am jumping back in to the photography world after a lengthy hiatus due to work and family "business". This is, and always will be a hobby of mine and something that I have truly enjoyed. I started out several years ago with a Canon 10D and some Sigma lenses shooting my children's sports activities and some travel photos during vacations. Then I stepped away for awhile....a long while, and here I am. My question has to do with which body would be best for me to purchase. My lens situation is solid so far; 85mm f/1.4 IS USM, 24-70mm f/2.8 II USM, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS III USM and a 2x extender. I have been fortunate to be in a position to obtain these and I want to purchase a body that will be best for my bag. I want to shoot everything; family portraits, HS senior style street shots, weddings, local sports, nature, landscape, etc. I am currently deciding between a DSLR and Mirrorless. Question to all of you experts and enthusiasts, which of the two should I lean towards?

I am looking for versatility with all subjects.

I appreciate all of your feedback ahead of time, thank you.

Mr. Bean

In an answer to my own question, after some research I have found that my lenses are not all compatible with the mirrorless options. So I will move on the the DSLR. I have been gone for way too long.

In an answer to my own question, after some research I have found that my lenses are not all compatible with the mirrorless options. So I will move on the the DSLR. I have been gone for way too long.
You can get an EF to R adapter. That way you can use all your current lenses. They work flawlessly. That's my intention when I go mirrorless.

I personally would go with a 5D Mark 4. Great all around camera. If you wanted a flip screen, then a 6D mark 2. I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices but for my money, the 5D mark 4 is the best of all worlds, professional, excellent build, fast and accurate AF, 2 card slots, good video, reliable.

Thank you for the replies. I ended up going with the 5D Mark IV. Gave me some money for a few accessories as well.

"Question to all of you experts and enthusiasts, which of the two should I lean towards?"

Mr. Bean, welcome to TPF.
Yes, you have been gone a while!! LoL
Your list of genres is long and varied, but then so is your list of Cameras. It also seems that money is not hindrance, which is a good thing.
Let me narrow it down for you VERY quickly.
GET the R5!!!
Let me tell you why. The 1Dxlll and the R3 are way to low in the mp dept unless you're a pro sports shooter. The R3 is the best of the 3 but at 24mp I wouldn't want it for an all-around shooter and the R5 is better(arguably) than the 1Dxlll.
Some background: I currently use a 1dxll(20mp) for sports and a 5Ds(50mp) for everything else, so yes I have experience with most Canon cameras.
A few weeks ago after a couple of shoots where I had maybe 20% miss-focus shots because I was shooting portraits against very contrasty backgrounds I finally decided that was just way to much error and I was only using a 2.8 lens!
I have faster lenses and using those it's even a higher % OOF.
Some tech: with ANY DSLR you HAVE to Micro Adjust(MA) the focus of every lens to every camera body you use. That's difficult to do with an f1.2 lens wide open and there's still a margin of error. That's enough to put an eye out of focus at 1.2 at any distance.
With the R5 you NEVER need to MA a lens, the camera automatically does it on every shot, it's part of the focus process. When you last shot MA did not exist yet, we just prayed a lot or sent our lenses and cameras to Canon to do it for us!
A lot of what you mention is very focus intensive, like portraits or family or sports and that's where a mirrorless(ML) makes very easy work of every shot using the highly accurate Eye Auto Focus(EAF) algorithms.
As for your EOS lenses, as was mentioned just get a simple adapter or at an extra cost, a very handy adapter with built in ND capabilities.
Conclusion: 3 months ago you could not have pried my trusty 1dxll and 50mp 5Ds from my hands. Now I can't wait to get rid of them so I can cut down on all my missed shots, not to mention using my fast lenses and knowing they will be in focus on EVERY shot.
I probably won't even consider RF lenses for at least a year since my current lenses will actually perform more accurately with an adapter!
The 5DlV is a great camera but why suffer the pitfalls that all dslr's suffer from, MA and miss-focus.
Bean, I solved my camera issues, good luck with yours!!!
SS

PS, oops, I didn't see that you had already bought the 5D4. Happy shooting! SS

"Question to all of you experts and enthusiasts, which of the two should I lean towards?"

Mr. Bean, welcome to TPF.
Yes, you have been gone a while!! LoL
Your list of genres is long and varied, but then so is your list of Cameras. It also seems that money is not hindrance, which is a good thing.
Let me narrow it down for you VERY quickly.
GET the R5!!!
Let me tell you why. The 1Dxlll and the R3 are way to low in the mp dept unless you're a pro sports shooter. The R3 is the best of the 3 but at 24mp I wouldn't want it for an all-around shooter and the R5 is better(arguably) than the 1Dxlll.
Some background: I currently use a 1dxll(20mp) for sports and a 5Ds(50mp) for everything else, so yes I have experience with most Canon cameras.
A few weeks ago after a couple of shoots where I had maybe 20% miss-focus shots because I was shooting portraits against very contrasty backgrounds I finally decided that was just way to much error and I was only using a 2.8 lens!
I have faster lenses and using those it's even a higher % OOF.
Some tech: with ANY DSLR you HAVE to Micro Adjust(MA) the focus of every lens to every camera body you use. That's difficult to do with an f1.2 lens wide open and there's still a margin of error. That's enough to put an eye out of focus at 1.2 at any distance.
With the R5 you NEVER need to MA a lens, the camera automatically does it on every shot, it's part of the focus process. When you last shot MA did not exist yet, we just prayed a lot or sent our lenses and cameras to Canon to do it for us!
A lot of what you mention is very focus intensive, like portraits or family or sports and that's where a mirrorless(ML) makes very easy work of every shot using the highly accurate Eye Auto Focus(EAF) algorithms.
As for your EOS lenses, as was mentioned just get a simple adapter or at an extra cost, a very handy adapter with built in ND capabilities.
Conclusion: 3 months ago you could not have pried my trusty 1dxll and 50mp 5Ds from my hands. Now I can't wait to get rid of them so I can cut down on all my missed shots, not to mention using my fast lenses and knowing they will be in focus on EVERY shot.
I probably won't even consider RF lenses for at least a year since my current lenses will actually perform more accurately with an adapter!
The 5DlV is a great camera but why suffer the pitfalls that all dslr's suffer from, MA and miss-focus.
Bean, I solved my camera issues, good luck with yours!!!
SS

PS, oops, I didn't see that you had already bought the 5D4. Happy shooting! SS
Sharshooterr,

I did not purchase yet, so there is still time....lol. Are you aware of any issues with the lens adapter for the R5 and the EF lenses? Mirrorless was originally how I was leaning until the lens issue popped up. I am ordering tomorrow. From a camera body perspective I think the R5 seems like the better option for me. I just worry about my current array of lenses. Thanks again for all the input.

Mr. Bean

Sharshooterr,

I did not purchase yet, so there is still time....lol. Are you aware of any issues with the lens adapter for the R5 and the EF lenses? Mirrorless was originally how I was leaning until the lens issue popped up. I am ordering tomorrow. From a camera body perspective I think the R5 seems like the better option for me. I just worry about my current array of lenses. Thanks again for all the input.

Mr. Bean
No matter your listed choice, remember it is just a tool. Your skill is more important. All the tools you listed and the one I suggested are up for the task. Personally, I think judging AF is subjective and really is more about how an artist understands his tool. Granted, some AF systems are more advanced and an advanced photog will acclimate to a system if they truly understand the tool.

Sharshooterr,

Mr. Bean
Mr Bean, thanks for the reply.
i know if no disadvantage to the adapter. It is glassless so no degradation optically. I will say that since there is a small increase in light patch, the lens will slow down a very small amount and there will also be a minimal telephoto effect but both would be minimal.
now if you did ONLY landscape, you would get zero benefit from the focus improvements. But for eyes/faces in motion that’s a completely different animal. And speaking of animals, if you shoot nature the R5 also recognizes the eyes on animals for very accurate and high hit rate of nature photography as well.
Here is a 5 page discussion I’m currently having at Fred Miranda on the subject of my cameras vs the R5. I am JohnSil there. Should be interesting reading. And you can click on my IG to get an idea of the kind of portrait work I do. Hope the link works on my phone!
Good luck. SS

Most reactions

Back