Canon camera and Sigma and Tamron lenses

Chris Hayes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, this is my first post to the forum as I'm new here. I have a Canon EOS-10D which I bought back in 2003. The autofocus for my Sigma 17-35mm lens recently quit working. I've done everything I can think of to get it working again. I believe this lens first became available in 2004. So my first question is this. Do you think it would be possible to have this lens repaired?

If not, I'm looking at getting a Tamron 10-24mm lens as a replacement. This is the one I'm looking at:

Tamron | B001 SPAF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom | B001C-700

I do want to upgrade to a different camera sometime in the future so my subsequent question is; If I were to get that lens would it work with a 50D? If not what would be another good EOS camera to get in replacement of the 10D? I also have a Canon 28-90mm and 70-200L lens. Any input on these issues would be very helpful :)

Welcome to the forum.

First things first...what have you tried to fix the AF on your lens? Can you try the lens on another camera?

The lens should be repairable, it's just a matter of cost. Contact a Sigma customer service or repair center and see what they have to say.

Yes, that lens would work fine with a 50D, or any other Canon DSLR up to the 7D, as they all have the APS-C sized sensor. It would not be compatible with the 5D or 1D series of cameras, as they have larger sensors.

Welcome to the forum.

First things first...what have you tried to fix the AF on your lens? Can you try the lens on another camera?

The lens should be repairable, it's just a matter of cost. Contact a Sigma customer service or repair center and see what they have to say.

Yes, that lens would work fine with a 50D, or any other Canon DSLR up to the 7D, as they all have the APS-C sized sensor. It would not be compatible with the 5D or 1D series of cameras, as they have larger sensors.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I used my 28-90 in place of it and it worked just fine. I'm just glad I grabbed it going out the door. I primarily do weather related and fire/EMS photography. I went to a house fire down the road from where I live. That's where I ran into the problem with my wide angle. I went to a camera store where I've gotten some of my equipment and the guy there told me it might not be repairable due to parts not being available and then tried to sell me a 17-50mm Tamron. If I buy a new lens I'm getting the 10-24mm Tamron. Since I do a lot of lightning photography and I storm chase I've wanted a super wide angle in the 10mm range for a long time.

I'm not limiting myself to getting the 50D. How are the Rebel models?

I'm not limiting myself to getting the 50D. How are the Rebel models?
The Rebel models, especially the newest ones, have really good image quality. Especially compared to your old 10D, which is pretty antiquated by today's standards. So if you are being mindful of your budget, you can get better image quality with a cheaper Rebel and a top end lens, than with a 50D and a lower end lens.
That being said, with the type of shooting you're mentioning, you would probably be better off with a more robust & sealed camera. The 40D, 50D, 7D are somewhat sealed up, but not nearly as well as the 1 series 'pro' bodies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back