canon camera settings help

HFPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I have a Canon XTI and I have changed some setting on my camera I thought would help bring in more color but I am not sure if that was the right move.

Here is how I made the changes:
Menu - scroll over one to the camera with the number 2 above it.
Scroll down and choose picture style. Then that opens a page where you can change the sharpness, contrast, saturation, and color tone. You can change those four setting for all the different titles (portrait, landscape ect.) I chose to use the portrait and change all four: sharpness contrast saturation and color tone and put them at their max amount. Is that a good idea? Does anyone else play around with those settings and have tips?

Or should I leave those setting at normal setting and just make changes in lightroom or photoshop? I shoot mostly portraits family and kids.
I hope that make since

Thanks

No, that's generally not a good idea to boost all the processing elements in the camera. However, if you're shooting RAW, it won't matter what your picture styles are anyway. In the event I use picture styles, I usually try to use a natural looking one.

More of everything is not always a good answer.

Pedal to the metal is seldom the best idea...unless you're trying to outrun the cops on I-5...

Pedal to the metal is seldom the best idea...unless you're trying to outrun the cops on I-5...

In that case, it's ALWAYS the best idea.

There is no good reason to max out your settings. This will simply over-drive all of the levels and your photos will not be natural looking..

You seldom need to go more than a couple of steps with any of the settings. I would suggest that you go back to default settings, take some pictures, and then see if you feel the need to increase any of the settings..:D

As mentioned, you can increase any parameter in post processing, even if you don't shoot in RAW; so be conservative in-camera and increase any levels necessary after you see the image full size..

In that case, it's ALWAYS the best idea.
It's really hard to out run the cop's radios. :lmao:

People always think that...but you'd be surprised. Go fast enough and not even a radio will be enough to stop you.

Back in my racing days I'd fly by a cop at 150+ (sportbikes, not cars) and they wouldn't even move. I'm sure they radioed someone ahead but by then I was slowing down for an exit 3/4 mile away.

Most reactions

Back