Canon - Crop vs FF

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by prodigy2k7, Feb 11, 2009.

1. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

Okay maybe I wasnt specific enough, im not talking about Crop vs FF in general, im talking about Crop vs FF when FF has a lot more MP than Crop...
    I am also talking about in bright daylight... More specifically, when people say Crop is better for telephoto...

Kinda like, megapixels wise in bright light, which is better quality:
    16MP FF or 10MP Crop
    (Canon 1.6x crop)

Shouldnt they be equal if you were to crop the 16MP down to the FoV that the 10MP camera received? If you cropped it correct, you should have a almost identical image of 10MP... This is what im asking... I think I asked it correctly now :p

2. Samriel

Samriel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep, that's a better formulated question. :) I was wondering if you were just asking in general or if it was about the pixel thing. In that case, the cropped body shouldn't really have any advantages I know of, except for the possibly bigger DoF.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If both sensors have the same pixel size, pixel density, and technology then if you crop 35mm format to APS it would be the same. The Canon 20D/30D and 5D are very similar to this, but the 5D still has slightly larger pixels. If you compare pixel density of the 40D or 50D to the 5D mkII the APS cameras are actually higher resolution for a given area of sensor with greater pixel density/smaller pixels than the 5D mkII. More pixels mean more resolution; larger pixels mean more dynamic range (most of the time).

http://www.google.com/search?q=pixel density sensors

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Hmm, interesting, thanks :)

Btw, your picture ont he left is very disturbing in a good way, i cant stop looking at it... haha