Canon R6 vs R5 vs R7

AnneD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Always used a Canon 7Dii and 5Diii but made the leap to mirrorless. After fair bit of research and test drive opted for R6 with intention to get R7 to mimic my existing set up of one FF and one crop. Wildlife photography is my overriding interest. But now I’m not sure R6 was the right choice as feel losing something on the photo quality. So given I’ve only just bought, do I live with it or use as second body and bite the bullet with the R5 and drop any idea of the R7? Do like the idea of extending my RF 100-500 to x1.6 but maybe cropping in on R5 better bet and R7 not needed? I just don’t want to make an expensive mistake especially/as I think I might have done with the R6. Advice welcome! Thank you.

If you are finding issues with IQ on the R6 then if it's not a faulty unit (unlikely but possible) then you are doing something wrong. It's an absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

I'd agree with Space Face. Plus, have you tried the crop mode on the R6? I have been shooting sports with my R6 since early December and I really like the files I am getting.

Thanks for the replies - I may be jumping the gun here with a couple of days shooting in tricky conditions. Encouraging to hear others experiences. 😀

Always used a Canon 7Dii and 5Diii but made the leap to mirrorless. After fair bit of research and test drive opted for R6 with intention to get R7 to mimic my existing set up of one FF and one crop. Wildlife photography is my overriding interest. But now I’m not sure R6 was the right choice as feel losing something on the photo quality. So given I’ve only just bought, do I live with it or use as second body and bite the bullet with the R5 and drop any idea of the R7? Do like the idea of extending my RF 100-500 to x1.6 but maybe cropping in on R5 better bet and R7 not needed? I just don’t want to make an expensive mistake especially/as I think I might have done with the R6. Advice welcome! Thank you.

Digital imaging is imitation, of course, so if you're not satisfied with the image quality of your R6 files, it ought to be a simple matter to fake them to whatever you want.

What I noticed moving from the Canon 5D mark iii to the R6 is that the raw files are flatter. I've played around with the camera profiles in ACR and that has made a difference in the color tones.

Most reactions

Back