Canon Digital Rebel XT or Nikon D40

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What one has better bang for the buck? Is there any other good cameras around the same quality and maybe cheaper? I'm 15 and can't get a job till the end of this summer so I'm kinda broke and relying on my birthday for now. I'm also going to B.C this summer and would like a camera/lens thats ideal for nature and cityscapes.

The Surgeon General warns: Just Say No to Nikon vs Canon debates.

The reason I say that is that this question or very similar ones come up here regularly and don't really lead anywhere constructive. You have two cameras, each very capable, one probably slightly better at some things and the other slightly better at others, but neither clearly a better product than the other. Basically it has to come down to which camera and which system you prefer.

If you want specifics, the D40 has a 6-megapixel sensor and the Rebel XT 8. The difference between 6 and 8 megapixels here is really not a lot, honestly. The D40 shoots unlimited Jpeg or 9 RAW shots at 2.5fps before it slows down for buffering; the Rebel XT shoots 14 Jpeg or 4 RAW shots at 3fps. The D40 has flash sync to 1/500 and the Rebel XT to 1/200. The D40 has a bigger, brighter viewfinder and larger rear LCD... but no top LCD. With the D40 you will be somewhat limited for functionality with many lenses (including standard primes) as it will only autofocus with internal-focus lenses. How important any of these factors are is up to you.

Ok so eather is as good? Also I heard the D50 is a better choice over the D40. Is that true? Also I was looking at the Pentax K110D. How does that camera compare?

Ok so eather is as good? Also I heard the D50 is a better choice over the D40. Is that true? Also I was looking at the Pentax K110D. How does that camera compare?

being a pentax user, I'd probably tell you to get the XT over the K110D, but the K100D over your other choices. Really you need to decide what features you want your camera to have. you cant really buy a bad camera at this level, so no worries there.

ok thanks. Ill scratch the k110d off my list. Ill see if I can some how try out the D50 and the XT.

The D50 might be better than the D40. The D50 allows autofocus with more lenses - it is not restricted to internal-focus lenses as the D40 is. The D50 also has more controls and a top LCD. On the other hand the D40 has a bigger and brighter viewfinder (which to me is quite an important factor in itself), better continuous shooting ability and the image processing is probably slightly improved (particularly at higher ISOs). I guess it's a fairly tough choice really and probably comes down to which feels better when you play around with it in the shop.

The K110d (or K100d which is the same but with a shake-reduction system) compares pretty well. I disagree that you need to scratch the K110d off the list. The only thing it's lacking is the shake-reduction system from the K100d, which is also lacking in the Canon and Nikon anyway. The Pentaxes and the two Nikons use exactly the same sensor. Image quality on the Pentaxes I would say is probably the same as the D40. Nikon have more lenses widely available than Pentax but there is still a good range of lenses for the Pentax, including older ones which retain full metering ability plus autofocus if they have it. The K100d has a more advanced autofocus system than the D40's (11 AF points vs 3) while the D40 has the more advanced metering system, but I doubt the difference is great with either. Flash sync is 1/500 on the D40 and 1/180 on the K100d (doesn't matter to me though apparently it does Ken Rockwell). The K100d is slightly heavier but both are reasonably compact. The K100d uses AA batteries which gives you the choice of rechargeable, non-rechargeable or plain alkaline in an emergency, while the D40 uses a proprietary battery which lasts longer - obviously either of these could be a good thing depending on your point of view. The K100d has more controls than the D40. The K100d is quite limited for number of continuous shots (3fps for 3 RAW or 5 Jpeg before buffering) but again that may matter or it may not. In other words, again it's a case of none of the cameras being inherently better than each other. Each has good and less good points and you should really try and check them out in-store if possible, and also consider which lenses you will want and which company (Canon Nikon or Pentax) has them available - maybe see which companies are offering a rebate. They're all good choices.

Well here is why I want each camera:

XT:
Very known and a large amount of lenses to choose from. Also larger # of pixels and a local canon dealer that does repairs near me.

D50:
Very large amount of lenses to choose from and well known and trusted company. best flash sync speed.

K110D:
Much cheaper and heavier (making it easier to keep steady). larger LCD disply and smaller all around size. larger ISO range (200 - 3200). but a few less features and smaller lens choice.

What else could I add to the list to help me narrow down my choice?

I'm having the same debate, and even though I will more than likely buy online, I've been trying some of the cameras out at local stores. They both are competant in my hands, but the Nikon products seem "stronger" and more "professional", while the Canon (Rebel series) seems more user friendly, more like someone taking a step up from a Point and shoot, which is what I am doing anyway.

Canon also has some features such as in camera post procession, color things, that really no one that uses Photoshop, or even Picasa 2, would ever use, but it's there.

Personally, I like the D70s, and it's probably the way I will be going. The D70s has a few more options than the D50, and the s supposedly has the better imaging like the D50 does. I like the D40's larger screen, and I doubt I would ever buy a used lens, but I don't like spending the same amount for the SAME product. The D40 also has one less screen than the D50 or Canon, it's missing the LCD on top, but people that use it tell me it's almost BETTER because they can get those graphics on the main screen now, instead of flipping back and forth. I'm of two minds on it.

Here are some numbers:

D70s body for only $465.00
http://www.stop4camera.com/Shop/Product.asp?sku=d70sb

D40 body for only $384.00
http://www.preferredphoto.com/product.asp?id=nkd40

D50 body for only $425.00
http://www.stop4camera.com/Shop/Product.asp?sku=d50

The prices are so close, I don't know what to do.

In your case I would say the D70s. Seems like the best choice. I think im going to end up getting the K110D but is shake-reduction really important? I plan on using a tripod alot but what about the times I wont be able to use one? Will my images turn out blurry?

your images will only turn out blurry if you are trying to use the kit lens or other lens with similar aperture in not so well lit rooms (most indoor rooms at night suffer) with no flash and low ISO. The K100D allows you a little extra room to shoot with a slower shutter speed and not worry camera shake blurring the picture.

As for the K110D having less lens choice, it is actually the other way around since the D40 can only take lenses that have build in AF motors.

Keep the K110D on your list, it is certainly a good camera and the lower price makes it very attractive, especially since you could use the money saved towards the sub 200 dollar 50mm 1.4 lens, which would definitely allow you to shoot indoors so long as the room was moderately lit.

Ryan, as far as user friendly goes, there is no camera more user friendly than the D40. The camera is built so people who know nothing about photography can pick it up and start learning. It has help menus for everything and is all around a user friendly camera.

If I were you, I'd go for the D70s.

your images will only turn out blurry if you are trying to use the kit lens or other lens with similar aperture in not so well lit rooms (most indoor rooms at night suffer) with no flash and low ISO. The K100D allows you a little extra room to shoot with a slower shutter speed and not worry camera shake blurring the picture.

As for the K110D having less lens choice, it is actually the other way around since the D40 can only take lenses that have build in AF motors.

Keep the K110D on your list, it is certainly a good camera and the lower price makes it very attractive, especially since you could use the money saved towards the sub 200 dollar 50mm 1.4 lens, which would definitely allow you to shoot indoors so long as the room was moderately lit.

Ryan, as far as user friendly goes, there is no camera more user friendly than the D40. The camera is built so people who know nothing about photography can pick it up and start learning. It has help menus for everything and is all around a user friendly camera.

If I were you, I'd go for the D70s.
I was looking at this kit that comes with a 18 -55mm and a 50-200mm Lens. Its canadian so it would be around $725.34 U.S. Is that a good deal?
(I live in canada and I only put the us price so you guys can get a better feel of the price)

Thats a little out of my price range.

I am in your same boat. I am thinking despite the lack of the motor, that D40 is the way to go. Most modern lenses have the AF feature I assume, and among the 6MP SLR's I hear the D40's picture quality is the best and sharpest.

It's also cheaper which means you can spend more on a lens than you could with the Rebel.

From what I've learned: Lens's that come with cameras are garbage for anything indoors. I am going to get a body and a lens seperate.

I was thinking about getting a body and lens seprate as well but that could get a little pricey. A plan I made was to maybe get a body for passing this year in school (if I get good marks) and a lens or 2 for my birthday. I may try and find some where that I can get a good second hand body and buy a lens new. Buying a camera is very hard!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back