Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM review!!!

Garrentee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
wanted to know if this lens is worth getting from some people who own it?

i do a lot of landscape photography and need something thats durable and wide enough for lots of shots.

also looked at the tokina 12-24? any feedback?

garrentee

i do happily use it for landscape and architecture, on a 35mm camera though.

it is not my sharpest L-glass wide open, but stepped down a bit it is great.

Not my sturdiest L either, but for the relatively low price (for an L lens) it is fairly well built.

edit: as for durability: I use it outdoors, also on hiking expeditions for several days where it spends nights with me in the tent. I use a UV filter though, since there is a little gap between the tube and the front element which could draw dust while zooming ... this is just a precaution though, never heard of any trouble from people not using a filter.

As for your question if it is wide enough, I do not use it on a digital crop camera, so for me it is certainly wide enough. But I could also live with a 24mm lens being the widest, at least in most landscape shots.

wanted to know if this lens is worth getting from some people who own it?

i do a lot of landscape photography and need something thats durable and wide enough for lots of shots.

also looked at the tokina 12-24? any feedback?

garrentee

The Canon 17-40 L lens is the lens I used in almost all of my interior Fashion Shoots as well as in studio. IMO it is one of the most versatile lenses in the Canon arsenal. Very sharp stopped down 1 to 2 stops. If you view my work, at least 75 percent of all of the images were shot with it. I stopped using my Canon 28mm lens as the 17-40 was sharper.

In a word "Incredible" lens...

Ben

Canon 28mm lens as the 17-40 was sharper.

I agree here, at least with my copies of those two lenses. Sold my 28mm for that reason as I did not need its wider aperture.

I've rarely, if ever, heard anything bad about it. Not only is it very sharp but it's affordable (for an L lens).

What camera are you planning to use it on? I'm guessing it's a 1.6 crop body (as you are looking at the Tokina 12-24)...in which case, the 17-40 may not be the best choice for a wide landscape lens. Like Alex said,
i do happily use it for landscape and architecture, on a 35mm camera though.

If you are looking for that ultra wide angle of view, look at that Tokina, the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, and the similar lenses from Tamron and Sigma.

thanks all!!

I do have a 1.6 crop body...and ive been thinking about getting the 12-24 tokina but came upon this L-lens and thought it was a good deal...i mean i dont wanna spend $1000 but sometimes you gotta take one for the team...thanks for all your help guys!!

garrentee

Most reactions

New Topics

Back