What's new

CANON EF 24-105MM F4 L IS vs CANON EF 24-70MM F2.8L USM

karen.tao

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 5, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Sydney
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which one do you prefer and why? I can't decide which one I want to get.
 
I shoot my 24-105 f/4 L-IS on full-frame, and so for me, that is the more-versatile lens in terms of focal length range, plus it has Image Stabilizer for shooting from a moving platform, or when I am a bit out of breath or when I want to shoot hand-held at smaller f/stops in order to get deeper depth of field. And for me, the real benefit of an IS or VR lens is the ability to shoot slow-speed panning photos, and eliminate up-and-down tremors, which makes for smooth,steady,beautiful panning shots. To me, having the range from 71mm up to 105mm makes the 24-105 L-IS lens more versatile; topping out at 70mm is not really my idea of a versatile,general lens for walk-around or "one-lens" use. The 24-70 f/2.8 is designed to be pared with a second body, and a 70-200 lens. Quite often, I do not want to carry a second body and a 70-200 just to get a moderate telephoto length, and so, the 24-105-L lens is the one I went with.

Nobody can make the choice for you; the 24-70's wider aperture can come in handy for many people and some situations, so....Canon makes both!!!

Nikon's 24-85 AF-S is in many ways, a better lens for a walk-around lens than a 24-70. I still have one of those for my Nikon kit, and really,really like that range.
 
If I have a 5DMK2 body, I will pick up the 24-105 f/4L and that lens will be the walk around / vacation lens. And I will pair that with a fast prime. But then again, I am not talking about using it for wedding photography. I think it is a great lens for general purpose especially with a better noise handling body.
 
I asked the same thing like 2 months ago. I went with the 24-70mm. If you are not going to do weddings and just want a versatile lens, I would go with the 105.
When you make your decision, do not based it on "Canon will come out with the IS version of 24-70mm, you should wait" because people have been saying that in the past 3 years LOL.
 
If you're doing a wedding, and you're at the reception, you'll probably find yourself happy that you have the option of f2.8. If you're not worried about that, the 24-105 sounds like an amazing lens.
 
go with the 105 if you not rocking 2 bodies and the other one has the 70-200 like stated above.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom