Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens, is this a good choice for low light pics

debmar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Going to DC in April and want to be able to take pics in museums (if allowed) and in the evening of the lit up monuments.
[h=1][/h]I believed I've learned that with the f/1.8 I will be able to take lower light photos without the flash. Also with 55mm will it be too narrow for indoor wide angle shots? I own the Canon T4i kit lens EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, should I just stick with this one or buy the 50mm f/1.8 ?

Thank you

Get the 50/1.4.

I know it's quality reflects the pricetag. That's why I am suggesting you get the 50/1.4.

Do you know if it's a decent lens for low light indoor pics
Yes. Not eveyone needs to spend the money for the 1.4. The 1.8 is a capable little lens. If you end up not being that happy with it you can sell it. This popular inexpensive guy holds its value quite well.

Okay...I'm a newbie..so let me ask you this then...with either of these two lens, one being twice as much as the other...am I on the right track with choosing this type of lens for low light indoor photos without the use of a flash? The lower the aperture f stop, the more light that is let into the lens?? Thanks

Yeah, it's terrific for its price. My other two lenses are L series ones and the quality is not too far off. I've had it for a year or so and always turn to it for ultra-low light situations. The contrast and colors are excellent for what it costs. Unfortunately, the focusing is really slow however.

Do you know if it's a decent lens for low light indoor pics
Yes. Not eveyone needs to spend the money for the 1.4. The 1.8 is a capable little lens. If you end up not being that happy with it you can sell it. This popular inexpensive guy holds its value quite well.

Thanks texkam..Okay I will get the lens I was asking about then. :)

Yes I read about it being slow..but its for museum and just strolling around day and evening in DC taking pic of the monuments...should be okay. I will bring my kit lens EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens with me as well. Thank you

Here's the deal with the 50/1.8 II. It has 5 aperture blades, so when you stop the lens down past f/2 it looks like butt mud. This is due to poor engineering and manufacturing.

Your OOF areas will be harsh and immediately identifiable as a 50/1.8 II. You'll learn that this plastic piece of junk that's mounted on your camera is holding back your ability to focus effectively because the focusing mechanism is loud, slow, and doesn't have as many intervals as a USM lens. It literally is a plastic piece of junk, that breaks into two pieces if not handled with care. The lens mount itself is plastic.

After that, you'll say to yourself "Wow, I should have spent the extra money on a refurbished or used 50/1.4." So you'll end up selling your $90 50/1.8 II for $70, and your 50/1.4 will cost you $20 more. Sure, for $100 it works like a $100 lens. And for $350, the 50/1.4 works like a $350 lens. Much better than the f/1.8 II IMO, and in the long run you'll save money.

Yes, you usually get what you pay for, but 50/1.8 II is an exception of sorts. You got to try it, IMO you will be surprised with the IQ. Agreed about the build quality and focusing issues, but from a pure IQ viewpoint it's a contender. I don't have the 50/1.4, so can't compare, but check out this Adorama comparison.

I would think for taking pictures of the lit up monuments at night, you would be better served w/ a tripod and using the self timer or a remote release.
That way you would be able to stop down your lens to the sweet spot and have a sharper nicer image.
I agree with Tyler about the 50mm f1.8, the out of focus area is not nice at all.

It's good to understand the tradeoffs, so it's good that Tyler put this info and his professional opinion out there. But ultimately it's to the degree it matters. It appears for debar's snapshot type needs, "museum and just strolling around day and evening in DC taking pic of the monuments"...it indeed should be okay. Butt mudd to a discerning pro may be perfectly acceptable to others. Tyler, I think you're being a bit harsh on the "fantastic plastic".

Just buy the 1.8 for a hundred bucks. If you end up selling it later at $80, you've rented it indefinitely for twenty bucks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back