Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L lens

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone got/used this lens?

Opinions.....

Please? :hugs:

I want a fast lens with a good zoom for outdoor action shots.... cars/some aviation etc... will this do the trick? If not what is recommended around the £300/400 mark?

I'm sort of guessing that for a lens that will really suit what I want I should be holding out for the likes of the EF70-200mm f2.8 L for the fast autofocusing? I dont object to saving for a little while....

Sorry for the bazillion questions... I'm lens baffled no matter what I read!

Hi Becky,

I've got that Lens, and use it on a 300D. I think it's fantastic, and would certainly suit what you're wanting to do, although at the 200mm end you might need a bit of help from a tripod to keep it steady to get the best from it.

Having said that, I've taken some really good handheld shots at 200mm on a sunny day, so as long as you can get a good short exposure you should be fine.

Colin

Hey there.

I just received my Canon 75-300 4.0-5.6 yesterday. As far as outdoor action shots in very good light...it's just fine. (especially for the price)

However, I tried to use it last night at a football game with less than wonderful lighting and it was a disaster. I mean if I had the time and my tripod or monopod I probably could have gotten some decent shots, but I was dissapointed.

I'm just a newbie, but I think you get what you pay for.

BTW- The picture under my name was shot of my dog yesterday from about 10 meters away. It did wonderful, even when my dog was running around like crazy.

that 70-200 f4L is a gem. one of canon's sharpest zooms i've heard. It's not super fast, but unless you need the extra stop (it's good to have) this lens will do wonderfully. as for autofocus speed, the f4 doesnt go quite as fast as the 2.8 wide open, but it has USM, so it packs a dang fast focusing motor.

Hi Wendy,
I've got both the 70-200 4 and 70-200 2.8 and I actually prefer the 4. Great lens and about 800 bucks cheaper!

Great lens, and works well with the 1.4x tc (making it a f/5.6). Be careful of backfocusing issues. Many copies of this lens have that issue. Mine does. I have yet to have it serviced.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back