Canon EOS 1000D

richfearless

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My dad bought a EOS 1000D camera a few years ago. He used to have a large range of Canon lenses, bodies, etc and used to thrall in using his camera's capturing our childhood days.
Canon EOS 1000D - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - Canon UK

Last week i bought my dad a 70-200mm telephoto lens which I have yet to give him. But I was hoping to fill the camera bag with some shooting resources for people who are not so adept at shooting with digital camera's.

I think he learns the best at watching someone doing it. So if you can recommend video tutorials that would be helpful.
Or if you can tell me what I should be looking for in video tutorials that would also be helpful. I believe not all the EOS range are similar and don't want to teach him about features he doesn't have at his disposal :)

Many thanks,

Richard

Welcome to the forum.

Actually, a lot of the bells & whistles on these camera are just extras. The camera still uses three main elements to control exposure; shutter speed, ISO & Aperture. So if he knew how to control these things back in the film days, it's pretty much the same now...it's just a matter of figuring out how to control them on the camera...and that's all in the manual.

I've been hearing good things about this book (set) Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3: Amazon.ca: Scott Kelby: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Kelby's books are a great introduction to photography, esp for anyone with very limited to no actual experience of photography - or those who are just getting started moving out of the auto/green box mode. If your father has mostly never moved out of the green box the Kelby books should be an ideal option to start with - if he's a bit more experienced I would think they could be a bit below him (I've only read the first and if he knows a bit of what he's doing he'll fast outgrow or already have outgrown teh first book).

Youtube can be a bit hit or miss with tutorials - I generally find its good for getting some specific tips on setups or effects and a little less good with generalist advice (I tend to find that generalist advice is a bit too simplistic and general to actually contain any meat on the videos to really build with - that stuff you tend to get a bit more in books or produced video guides (most of which cost)).

If he's got a specific subject area of interest that can help a lot with finding some interesting tutorials and give you something to search with.

Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson is also worth a look. Its detailed yet simply put. The 70-200 lens will be great on the 1000d. Nice present

I'd buy him a couple of months of Kelby On-line! Worth it's price twice over!

Most reactions

Back