Canon EOS-30D for a beginner??

Joanne4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the Canon EOS-30D this will be my first DSLR, in fact I have never even used a SLR before. Is this a good camera for me to learn with? Or is this a really bad idea? Should I go for a cheaper and easier camera to start of with?

No digital camera is really "harder" to use than any other. Photography is just, or can be, "hard" to understand. Any camera with manual controls will work fine. You need to be able to control all aspects of the exposure, in order to learn. I don't know how interested you are in photography, and maybe you don't either, so saving some money on a cheaper DSLR like the Rebel XT, or 350D, might be a good idea. Your best bet would be to just get the kit lens, and start shooting. If it takes hold, you can buy another lens or two, and then if you feel compelled later on, upgrade to the next better camera available at that time. (These things are constantly changing in the digital realm)

The URL you posted does not work, so I don't know what camera you are looking at.

What is your response to what I said?

Yea, Matt kind of touched on what I was thinking. Start out with a less expensive DLSR, like the Rebel or Rebel XT. Cameras & photography gear are one of the few things that you can sell later and still get most of your money out of them, if you feel you're ready to upgrade, or just sell your stuff.

The best thing would be to go into a store and hold the different cameras. The feel of the 30D is quite different from the Rebel XT. The 30D is bigger, heavier and more robust. Some may like this...while others may not.

The 30D has a great thumb wheel on the back, while the XT does not. The 30D has the control display on top, while the XT has it on the back, above the LCD screen.

Either camera will allow you to learn a grow with your photography...and either will be able to produce great image quality.

Reverend said:
Cameras & photography gear are one of the few things that you can sell later and still get most of your money out of them, if you feel you're ready to upgrade, or just sell your stuff.
Not so with the digital bodies, where the new models come out cheaper than the older ones did. I doubt I could get anywhere near what I paid for my 10D, whereas I think I made a small amount of money when I sold my EOS5 and A2e after several years of use, which I bought used.

In my opinion the best thing to learn on is a manual film camera like a Pentax K1000. Of course it's more cumbersome and takes a lot more effort to get a photo than a DSLR, but it really helps you to slow down and learn because all of the crutches like AF and auto-exposure are stripped away. That's what I started out with and I quickly got the feel for how things like aperture, shutter, and ISO interact. But on the downside I quickly outgrew it and got a more sophisticated modern SLR (a canon elan 7n). And now I have a 30D too. That said, the 30D is something you can learn on, just as long as you make sure you don't rely on the auto mode and autofocus all the time, or else you'll never learn. I also think that the 30D would be better to learn on than the 350D because it is easier to control things like the shutter speed and aperture on the fly with the 30D. There are two separate dials on the 30D (one for shutter speed, one for aperture) while there is only one on the 350D (you hold a button to toggle the function of the dial).

So if you're serious about photography and are willing to shoot film, I would recommend something like a K1000 with a 50mm lens (they're cheap these days). Then you can move up to the 30D once you understand exactly why you're buying it (i.e. why you want it and not another camera).

Also, I think markc's right that while film bodies retain their value for a long time, like anything else that's digital these days, DSLRs lose their value more quickly. So it would not be the best idea to jump right into an expensive 30D if you're not sure it's exactly what you want.

If you are just starting out, you may find that the 30D is lacking in pixel count and other things by the time you get to the point where you feel that you "need" it's other features. For me, the 10D perfectly replaced my EOS5 film camera as far as use and function went, but now it's lacking in noise control, pixel count, and other things compared to the 30D, even though function-wise it's pretty much the same thing. I got full use of it right off, but someone new might be regretting it. That's a lot of money to spend on a learning camera.

Unimaxium said:
In my opinion the best thing to learn on is a manual film camera like a Pentax K1000.

I used to think that too, and have a trusty K1000 myself. However, I think the instant feedback that you can get from a digital SLR could be pretty useful for a beginer.

Going back on-topic, a 30D is a great camera but quite expensive if you're not sure that you'll be wanting to take photography quite seriously. I'd recommend something cheaper unless money is not really a an object...

markc said:
Not so with the digital bodies, where the new models come out cheaper than the older ones did. I doubt I could get anywhere near what I paid for my 10D, whereas I think I made a small amount of money when I sold my EOS5 and A2e after several years of use, which I bought used.
Well, that was assuming you sell it before the next model comes out...

My other hobby is cars, and you usually lose anywhere from 60-80% of the value of a part once you open the box - So comparitively, photography gear holds its value almost infinitely! lol :)

I got m y first DSLR about 9 months ago after shooting in manual mode on a point and shoot for about a year and a half. If your not sure if you even like photography maybe go for an inexpensive model, however if you know you like photography but just have never used a SLR I would say go for the best you can afford. You will learn any camera you buy, it will just take some time and research on sites like this as well as other intenet sites. Do not worry about being overwhelmed you will earn things as you need them. I will take a couple months but you will not even realize it you'll just enjoy the time you spend shooting. Also in terms of camera features, personally I have no problem with the lack of both an aperature wheel and shutter speed wheel. Its not a hard thing to hold down a button and spin a wheel, it becomes second nature. Like Mike said go to a stre hod a few cameras and ask if they will loan it to you for a day so you can go into the field and shoot with it. My camera shop will lend you any equipment you want if you are serious about making a purchase.

Unimaxium said:
In my opinion the best thing to learn on is a manual film camera like a Pentax K1000. Of course it's more cumbersome and takes a lot more effort to get a photo than a DSLR, but it really helps you to slow down and learn because all of the crutches like AF and auto-exposure are stripped away.

I thought it would be the other way around. I'm quite new to photography and don't even own an SLR but a Kodak DX6490. I found it easier to understand the basic concepts because I can see the results immediately. I can take two shots with two different exposure settings, for example, and see the difference right there and then.

Get the Canon D30 as you ask, you will be extremely happy you did. Don't bother with film, just because we all did "back in the day" does not mean you will now learn anything you couldn't also learn with a digital camera.

I bought my Canon 30D about a month ago and I haven't been out as much as I would like to, because of my work, but the photos I've been taken already blew my mind away.
Amazing quality and really great features, easy to use and very smart camera.
I don't regret to pay 900 Pounds for it. Nobody should. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back