Canon EOS 450D, 200mm F2 and 800mm F5.6

lostprophet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just back from the Science Museum and the launch of the new Canon Gear.

First up was the new Canon EOS 450D
12.2mp
3.5 fps
3" lcd
live view with contrast AF
14 bit processing
new grip and new battery

Feels like a very nice camera, much better than the 350D/400D body
0195.jpg

Canon 200mm F2 IS (pictured with 1D mkIII)
very light weight and very fast focussing

800mm F5.6 IS is pictured in the background, none in the country at the moment so couldn't have a play
0196.jpg

0200.jpg

And just for fun and I really want this in my front room ;-)
The 600mm F4 and 1D mkIII just felt sooooo right in my hand :lol:
0202.jpg

yeah the SD card was a bit of a shock to me as well

The thing that gets me is why the hell they don't bump the fps on the 450D. I was hopeing for something in the 5fps range. It is Digic III and the 40D can shoot 6.5 so what is the deal with the 450D. I have ZERO incentive now other than live iew to seek out the 450D over my 400. I will just wait and upgrade to a 40D in time...

well if they made it 5fps why would anyone buy the 40D??
People would just complain that the 40D isn't fast enough. It the cameras get too fast they become classed as camcorders then would have a big tax slapped on them pushing the prices right up.

What no new 5D? What are they doing? I have been waiting for the new one. Do they roll out any others, or it that it for their new output?
I can't believe it, I thought with the new Nikon D300 that they would have to bring something new out. Pah!

What no new 5D? What are they doing? I have been waiting for the new one. Do they roll out any others, or it that it for their new output?
I can't believe it, I thought with the new Nikon D300 that they would have to bring something new out. Pah!
I've heard that there may be another new announcement of something, near the end of February. If not then, it will probably be in the fall.

Feb and Aug are normally the times for Canon releases, this one was a few weeks earlier than normal.
They might surprise everyone at PMA with a 5D replacement or it'll be in Aug

This is what I heard (read)...

Canon are going to be at Focus-On-Imaging in the UK end of Feb, and a pro-dealer has told us to expect something there

the simple fact is that Canon don't really need to replace the 5D as the nearest competitor is the Nikon D3 at over twice the price.

But one thing I do know it that you should ignore anything a dealer says about new gear coming in a months time. Most of the Canon staff there today didn't even know about the 450D until yesterday.

IMO Canon own models are the 5D competition and not any from Nikon. For me the 40D is it’s biggest rival. Personally I am looking for a smaller and lighter camera that the 1DmIIn without go back to the 1.6 crop

well if they made it 5fps why would anyone buy the 40D??
People would just complain that the 40D isn't fast enough. It the cameras get too fast they become classed as camcorders then would have a big tax slapped on them pushing the prices right up.

no but at least 4.5 :lol:

I'm sad to see i have some "old body" hehe

i don't think live view is something that can draw my attention , a bigger body definitely, sd instead of cf? not right now and well a 3" screen is nice. but is not going to make me upgrade mine. I did expected the 7d :mrgreen:, bur there is another camera show on the 3rd quarter of the year or something like that i heard, so let's wait, anyways i don't have money to buy a new body :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Great, that's why the prices of 400d have dropped over 10% over the last few weeks, and they won't stand there. Gonna order my 400d soon. 450d sure seems cool, with the big fancy screen, new image processor and live view, but it will be initially too expensive for me (yeah, an entry level dslr can actually be too pricy for some amateurs :)).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back