Canon EOS 50D

Hobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok! I just ordered a 50D at the local camera store on wild impulse because they are having it on sale and I will probably get it before the end of this week but I have a few questions for you guys. I have read a few reviews on that camera and it says that the high ISO performance on that camera is worse than my 40D and reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to the 40D. The guy at the camera store told me the same story and he also told me that it's not worth upgrading from a 40D to 50D but since I will use it as a back up body so it doesn't really matter. My question for you guys is how the 50D performs in at LOW ISO speeds? and is it better for landscapes than the 40D because of the higher resolution?

EDIT: and how about the long shutter speed noise on that camera?

Honestly, its very close to August. The announcement on the 60D should be out in late August. If you do not have to have a 2nd body right now, I would hold off. You may want the 60D, or its announcement may allow you to get a 40 or 50 at an even lower price.

BTW. Canonrumors.com has info on it. I plan on getting the 60D or the 5D MKII.

If you go over to the Canon forums and talk to actual owners of the 50D, you'll find most of them will tell you it's a pretty decent upgrade from the 40D.

I owned both and there's no way I would stay with a 40D with the 50D out there. Granted, I recently sold my 50D, but only because I didn't think I needed 3 bodies. I miss it.

The ISO performance of the 50D is at least as good as the 40D's. There are thousands of threads with lots of comparison pictures over on the Canon forums. This really is a moot point.

Where the 50D shines is with the micro-adjustment feature. The 50D was the first body I had with it, and I will NEVER own another body without it. It allows you to fine tune the front/back focus of each lens in your collection for spot on razor sharp focus.

The 50D also has a vastly superior LCD screen. That alone made me love the 50D more than my old 40D.

We have no idea when the 60D will hit the streets. Even when it is announced, you can expect serious delays in getting one if it's anything like the 5DMk2 release earlier this year. Even if they did announce it in August as people speculate, it could be another 2-3 months before you can actually lay your hands on one. If you have the urge to upgrade now, just do it.

I agree with Tharmsen, just do it. The LCD would be fantastic. I have the 40D, but recently got the 5D mkII and the LCD is.......WOW!

Holy crap! I just saw the specs on the 60D if it's true I will definitely get it when it's been released hehe. I know about the superior LCD 50D offers but it is not something I am willing to pay the extra 250 bucks for. I guess I ordered it because I already have the 40D and wanted a back up body that is not just as good but also newer lol. I was actually looking at Rebel T1i and according to some it has much better high ISO performance than the 50D and better than 40D at ISO 3200 :O is this true?

Canon EOS Rebel T1i / 500D Digital SLR Camera Review

Look at the link I provided above. It seems the T1i is mopping the floor with 50D when it comes to high ISO performance and it's a damn freaking Rebel -.-

Just because its a Rebel doesn't mean anything. Its newer and camera badies are advanceing fast than sh*t right now. The 50D will always take fantastic photos, but by al means, wait and get the 60D or get a T1i if you so wish. I cannot stand the Rebel line after upgrading to the XXD and 5D lines.

Holy crap! I just saw the specs on the 60D if it's true I will definitely get it when it's been released hehe.
It's all rumor. Official specs aren't out there. What you've seen is a "wish list". Some features will come true, others won't.

The 60D will be a great camera, I'm sure... as will the 70D, 80D, 90D and whatever comes next. The point is, if you're holding off on buying a new body until the next generation camera hits, you'll never buy a new body because the next new one is only months away.

While they are rumors, that site is pretty spot on when it comes to camera features. They had the 5DMKII nailed way before it was announced. Whatever sources they use, they seem to be on the mark.

Most reactions

Back