Canon EOS 70D for beginner? (Films, photos, vlogs)

theoallen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I'm looking to start getting into photography, videography and making vlogs. Is the Canon 70D a good choice for this?
I believe the 70D is fairly old now, so is it outdated technology?
Any advice and/or other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers

If you look at photography only then Nikon D7200 is about same price level and is superior to the 70D with better auto focus, better low light performance and better dynamic range.
Nikon D7200 is not bad in video too.

If video is more important then the Canon 70D has advantage over the Nikon D7200 due to its sensor technology that is designed more toward smooth auto focus for video.

So for more video the 70D is proffered, for more photos and less video the D7200 is the clear winner.

Hi there,

I'm looking to start getting into photography, videography and making vlogs. Is the Canon 70D a good choice for this?
I believe the 70D is fairly old now, so is it outdated technology?
Any advice and/or other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers

yes, the 'old 70D has good "IQ" image quality, better auto focus, lens selection, etc - certainly superior than other cameras a clear winner! -- however the Canon 6D, 7D2, 750D, etc might be a better option depending on the situation and budget,
Also the choice of lens makes a significant difference.
Go to a store and check them out !

Last edited:
DSLRs aren't usually the most easy-to-use cameras for video. When you shoot video, the main attraction of the DSLR, the sole thing that makes it a DSLR—the optical viewfinder—is blocked and you can only use the rear screen. That in itself isn't really a problem, but because these cameras are pretty heavy, and they can get really heavy with certain lenses, it makes it hard to record videos handheld. On a tripod? No such problem.

But if you do intend to shoot handheld, you better look at mirrorless alternatives. Actually, you may want to check those out even if you do plan on using a tripod all the time, as some of them can even output great quality 4K video to the SD card, and aren't too expensive.
If you want interchangeable-lenses, definitely consider the Panasonic G7.

Most reactions

Back