Canon EOS Film Camera

I

Iron Flatline

Hello all.

Well, I have been all digital for years now (D60 followed by 5D) and own a ton of expensive L glass. It occured to me that I miss shooting B&W film. Don't ask, I know I can do it in PS, but I just miss film. I guess I'm getting old, it's some kind of mid-life crisis thing, dunno...

So what should I get? I don't like Rebels, they're cheap crap. But does anyone really understand the diff. between the EOS 3 and the EOS 1? And what is the Elan 7NE? I assume that I can mount my EF lenses on it (seeing as it is an EOS camera...)

Any comments?

I have 2 EOS 1, they are built likely a tank and tad bit heavy, mine model only has center point focusing, but it has a nice focus look button

Check the canon museum, maybe that will help with the different models

I have the Elan 7NE, its like the 30D in film compared to EOS 3 is like a 5D and the EOS 1 is like the 1D. I think the main difference in the EOS 3 and the EOS 1 is the 3 is prosumer so its not weather sealed while the 1 is pro and completely sealed and is the best like L glass. The Elan has eye control for your focusing points, so where you look thats the focus point it uses, I think it has four points maybe five can't remember. I hope this makes sense.

I also suppose the EOS 1 might have a better AF, and a faster shutter.

My world for many years was an EOS 100 (which is somewhere between the Rebel/EOS1000 and the EOS 3), which I was very happy with. Now, after I upgraded to a 5D, it seems a bit like a toy though regarding the look and feel.

But I would guess, unless you want a tank, you would be happy with the EOS 3 ..

just yesterday I was in various shops in Germany ... and all the cameras discussed here were sold there EXTREMELY cheap (second hand though).

Interesting... Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I have been thinking about going down the 2nd-Hand route. I have some nice digital cameras, so this would be more of a fun treat for myself. I think I'm going to fish around for an EOS 3, see what I can find.

From what I've heard...the EOS 3 was the best 'non-1 series' camera in the EOS line. The AF speed, noise level etc...was all top notch. For some reason, I thought that it was weather sealed like the 1 bodies...but I'm not sure. I'm sure you would be happy with one.

The Elan series is/was the mid range line. Like the 10/20/30D digital bodies. Not large tanks...but pretty well built and included the fantastic thumb wheel. The 7n was the latest model...and anything with an 'e' on the end...has eye control focus.

I've got an Elan7 and I love it. It fits my hand perfectly, it's got the metal body, so it solid and has good heft. I like it a lot. I'm planning on keeping it loaded with B&W when I do go digital. (Stupid stock market.) I've been using it fairly regularly for about 4 years now.

Don't forget the EOS 5 (A2e). It's a bit old at this point, but I'd take it over the 7. If you are looking at the 3 or 1, that may be the way to go. Whichever you get, Custom Function 4 rocks, so I'd have to make sure the camera had it.

I believe it's the same as CF 4 on the digital bodies...it moves auto focus from the shutter button to the * button.

Yup. It's a godsend for the way I work, especially with the short DOF. It lets me focus on someone's eye and then recompose without having to worry about keeping my finger halfway pressed on the shutter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back