Canon EOS Rebel XS on Craigslist, please help!

kmacarthur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello All,
Can you guys help me to figure out whether this is a good deal or not, and what i should be looking out for on the transaction... the seller is going to give it to me for $300. I'm brand new to photography, so dumbed downed explanations are appreciated. Is there any way to tell if this camera is new? ie, current model? Thanks so much!! Here is the description from craigslist.

Just in time for the holidays! Selling this brand new Canon Rebel XS........still in the original packaging and was NEVER used! Paid $500 for it!

Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xs:

10.1 megapixel resolution
The Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xs delivers detailed pictures that can be enlarged up to 20" x 30"

18 to 55 mm zoom lens
Offers f/3.5 to f/5.6 performance that is equivalent to a 28 to 90 mm focal length on a film camera

Optical viewfinder and 2.5-inch color LCD screen
The Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xs gives you a choice of how to compose your shots and a convenient way to review them

Automatic focus
High-speed, wide-area 7-point AF with center cross-type sensors

DIGIC III Image Processor
The Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xs provides Auto Lighting Optimizer for highlight/shadow control, and Picture Style settings for in-camera color, contrast, and sharpness control

3 frames-per-second shooting
Shoots continuously up to 514 large JPEGs (until memory card is full)

SD/SDHC memory card slot
The Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xs stores images on optional SD or SDHC memory cards (not included)

I believe that model came out in 2008 but I might be wrong. I googled it and that's what I found. You can buy it new from amazon for 479.00 and new from bhphoto for around 350.00. If its brand new and unopened then it's probably a good deal.

Hey Megan,
My sister now has me worried about buying this on craigslist...would you recommend to buy a new DSLR? If so, what model... i'm very new to all of this and don't want to spend a fortune. Thanks!!!!

I'd get a used one, just not the one you're looking at. You can get a better camera for the same price.

kmacarthur said:
Hey Megan,
My sister now has me worried about buying this on craigslist...would you recommend to buy a new DSLR? If so, what model... i'm very new to all of this and don't want to spend a fortune. Thanks!!!!

Its safe to buy on Craigslist as long as your smart about it. It's really not that hard to package something up to look like its never been used/opened. On my local Craigslist there are so many scams when it comes to cameras. Scams as in they are charging more than what the camera is worth. Personally, I'd rather buy a used/refurbished one from a reputable business like bhphoto or another well known camera store.

What's your budget and are you set on canon? I just ask because I don't know too much about Canon. I've the heard the t2i and t3i are good entry level cameras. The average price I saw for the t2i with the 18-55 lens is about 740.00.

Nikon - you can get a refurbished d90 for around 650.00 from bhphoto. It's a few years old but from what I hear it's an excellent camera. The d3100 entry level camera is 369.00 from bhphoto and includes the 18-55 lens (refurbished) or new for 600.00 at staples.com. The camera I have, Nikon d5100, is around 800.00 new.

Fredmiranda.com is another photography forum (doesn't even compare to this one IMO) but they have a HUGE buy and sell section that is really active. I only go on that forum looking for good deals on lenses.

I've never bought anything used, yet. I'm sure I will eventually since its an expensive hobby. Entry level cameras have a shutter life of like 50,000 - you can take 50,00 pictures before it might die. It might die sooner or later. Buying used - you won't have a manufacturers warranty. You might of it's refurbished from bhphoto or another similar store but I don't know for sure. Of you do buy used off Craigslist and such makes sure and asks what the shutter actuation count is.

I buy off craigslist often. This particular posting looks like its probably not legit. If it is they will be willing to meet in person. If not they will yell you they are away from home and will ship to you. If you can meet in person? Go for it. Then take your print outs from adorama and b&h and use them as a bargaining chip to get a good deal.

If you buy off of Craigslist figure no warranty. Camera makers warrantiy is only good for the original owner.

But, you can use that fact as leverage to get a lower price.

If you buy from a reputable online store, there is no doubt about the warranty. Nikon and Canon both warranty their cameras for 1 year from the date of purchase here in the USA.

Registering a new lens at NikonUSA.com extends the lens warranty from just 1, to 5 years.

If you buy on Amazon.com, I highly recommend you make sure it is Amazon that is fulfilling the order, like in this Amazon offer; Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)

Amazon gets most, but not all, of the new camera gear they sell from Adorama in New York City.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back