Canon EOS5D vs Contax 645

dodu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to buy the Canon EOS5D with 24-105mm f/4 L lens.

How does it compare in quality with Contax 645 with 80mm Zeiss lens when printing on A3 format ?

More generally does it reach the quality of a 6x4.5 medium format camera like the Contax 645 ?

My question is to know if I should rather stick twith the medium format camera or go digital with the Canon (I am only speaking about quality of the final print).

Thanks.

That's pretty subjective. Everyone here is going to have a different opinion of which print looks good. Go to a lab and try and look at some samples of digital prints.

Apples versus Oranges..
Digital versus Film..
35mm frame versus 645 MF..

There's just too much up in the air...

Neither camera produces the final print... so you still have to factor in how the digital image from the 5d is printed as well as the quality of the enlarger and the skill level of the one making the enlargement.

If you have an interest in MF photography, go with the 645. If not.. stick with the 5D.

Use a great film and go with Medium Format.

dodu said:
Hello,

I would like to buy the Canon EOS5D with 24-105mm f/4 L lens.

How does it compare in quality with Contax 645 with 80mm Zeiss lens when printing on A3 format ?

More generally does it reach the quality of a 6x4.5 medium format camera like the Contax 645 ?

My question is to know if I should rather stick twith the medium format camera or go digital with the Canon (I am only speaking about quality of the final print).

Thanks.

like Matt said, that's very subjective. If it's of any help, I know of several product/stock/commercial photogs who have tried the 5d (or the 1dsMarkII, which has very similar image quality) and decided to switch from medium format film completely to using FF digital.

keep in mind that there is no reasonable way to compare a ~4x zoom to a normal zeiss prime. If you want the same prime quality, get a prime. The 24-105L is a very good and sharp lens, but is usually purchased more for its useful range and IS rather than its optical quality.

Most reactions

Back