Canon f1.8 200 lens USM ... Why have these been discontinued

coelacanthe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Our aim is to use this type of lens for sports photography. We have hesitations to buy one due to the fact that they have been discontinued by canon.

So we ask ourselves "Is there a better lens available ?".

We would appreciate any comments to this regard.

Where did you hear they were discontinuing what is probably the biggest selling lens for any 35mm or DSLR system? I wouldn't be worried about buying one even if they are discontinuing them. You could always get a 1.4 lens. Either way, I wouldn't consider the 50mm lens much of a sports lens. You'll probably need something longer. Maybe start off with a 70-200 2.8 lens.

If they did not discontinue they are no longer available on there web site. When you refer to a 1.4 who would be the manufacture. This is to match a Canon D1 MarkII or a Canon D10, we were concidering a f1.8 fixed 200 or a 400 if we can find one, to be used depending on the sport event that we must cover.

umm I think he was talking about the 200mm lens. But I just checked out the Canon website and there was no mention of being discontinued.

oh nevermind the one on the canon website is for the f/2.8 fixed 200mm lens My bad yo

oh, why did I see 50 1.8 when I read it... note to self.. read better.

I don't know about the 200 1.8 I'm sure they will come up with something to match it. Maybe a 200 1.8 VR lens?

I have the 70-200 f2.8 IS and a 2x, used them on my 10D this years to shoot collage baseball, they worked very nice in daylight and at dust shooting, shoot at three stadiums at night all different lighting, that bushed limits on lens w/2x and hand held

Samples are all hand held:http://www.pbase.com/jjarboe1/canebaseball

Most reactions

Back