Canon fd mount (other lenses brands)

Hi everybody, I am new here and I have a question!
I own a canon a1 and I am looking for some lenses. I wonder if you have some suggestions about 24mm 28mm and 50mm from other brands (except canon) with fd mount.

Thanks a lot!!!
Is there some reason you want to avoid Canon.?
Are you on a Super Shoe-String budget.?
Many of the Canon FD Lens are quite affordable.
28, 50 and 105 are not expensive at all.
Good Luck

Hi everybody, I am new here and I have a question!
I own a canon a1 and I am looking for some lenses. I wonder if you have some suggestions about 24mm 28mm and 50mm from other brands (except canon) with fd mount.

Thanks a lot!!!
Is there some reason you want to avoid Canon.?
Are you on a Super Shoe-String budget.?
Many of the Canon FD Lens are quite affordable.
28, 50 and 105 are not expensive at all.
Good Luck

This is a good point.
With the FD lenses being "obsolete" their prices are nowhere near what their new prices were.
So it is a good time to look for CANON lenses.

The old Canon FD mount is what some people call a "dead mount",which means one for which there is no current camera available. The old Minolta manual focusing mount falls into the same category as do several other legacy mounts.

in the 1970s and 1980s, third-party lenses were plentiful, especially in common lengths and speeds; there were dozens and dozens of 135 mm F/2.8 lenses available. there were a lesser number of 28 mm F2.8 wide-angles made and marketed . there were also a wide variety of zoom lenses such as 70 to 210 mm models.

as was said above, older canon FD mount lenses are affordable, and it makes sense to look for them on the used market today. It has been well over two decades since these lenses had a new camera made for them so prices have fallen to historic lows.

Last edited:
some of the "offbrand "lenses are really cheap now like $5-$10. I bought a pretty clean and fairly decent Albinar 24 mm F2.8 in m42 thread mount for 10 bucks a few years ago. I have used it with an adapter on my Canon digital single lens reflex cameras.

if you go to pawnshops, sometimes they have boxes full of old and dusty equipment. At one such shop I told The proprietor that I would look through four boxes of junky old lenses and I would give him $10 apiece for four lenses. he immediately rebuffed my offer and i replied "well it'll be 40 bucks you'll make today and it looks like you haven't sold any
of that crap in a year,so you have made absolutely zero money off of it…" After hearing that he immediately accepte my offer to sort through the four cardboard boxes full of old camera and lenses. there was one treasure… An
Olympus OM series 28mm f 2.8 in immaculate condition, complete with front and rear lens caps. Speaking of rear lens caps… When sorting through old bunches of lenses, The correct proper fit of the rear lens cap will show you the mount that a lens is in, in seconds, and I have found it to be the best way to determine what mount a lens is in at places like flea markets and pawn shops, where it is pretty common for a lens to be found of uncertain fit.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back