Canon fd mount (other lenses brands)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dimitris Xatzis, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Dimitris Xatzis

Dimitris Xatzis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everybody, I am new here and I have a question!
    I own a canon a1 and I am looking for some lenses. I wonder if you have some suggestions about 24mm 28mm and 50mm from other brands (except canon) with fd mount.

Thanks a lot!!!

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    back in the day they were quite a few third-party lenses manufactured to fit Canon mount cameras. There were many, many brands such as Vivitar, Asanuma, Quantarary, and many others. today many of these lenses are found in pawnshops in boxes of old, junky equipment, and common lengths and speeds are available for $20 or less.

3. Dimitris Xatzis

Dimitris Xatzis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi, thanks for your response. I found some of them on Ebay in good condition . I wonder if the quality is the same more or less good than canon

4. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some are, many are not.
    3rd party lenses were bought by those of us who could not afford manufacturer (Canon, Nikon, etc) lenses.

The important thing is, is it good enough for YOU?
    I shot with Vivitar lenses, and it was good enough for me.

Caution on eBay.
    What you see is visual condition, you have no idea if the lens has hidden damage or aging issues.

5. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 is an awesome lens ... I don't think any third party made an equivalent in quality.
    There were a lot of lens brands back in the days ... and many brands didn't even make their own stuff ... I would say just stick to Canon manufactured lenses if you want the IQ, otherwise just buy whatever ... though you may want to stick to brands like Vivitar, Sigma, and Tamron.

6. stevet1

stevet1 TPF Noob!

dxqcanada,

I think so too. I had one for years and years that I couldn't use because the aperture ring was broken.
    I got it repaired and have been very happy with it.

Steve Thomas

7. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a Canon T6 Rebel and was able to use my Pentax film camera zoom with an adapter from eBay.

Because the zoom is for a 35 mm format and the digital sensor is smaller the Pentax lens focal length has to be multiplied by 1.6 .

Of course the focus and the f stop have to be set manually but the pictures look fine.

8. stevet1

stevet1 TPF Noob!

Ron,

I am using the same kind of setup. Can you explain the bit about the 35 mm format and the digital sensors and all?

Thanks,

Steve Thomas

9. pendennis

pendennis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The focal length doesn't change. The crop gives an apparent increase in focal length @ 1.6x. The actual image is the same size whether on a DX or FX camera. The focal length is measured from the optical center of the lens, to the sensor plane, so the magnification doesn't change.

10. pendennis

pendennis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Steve, please see my response to Grandpa Ron.

11. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Stevet1 and the group,

While it is true that connecting a 35 mm lens to a digital camera does not modify the lens in any way. It does affect the apparent results.

As you can see in the attachment. The image projected by the lens is designed for the area of a 35mm format camera. The digital sensor is smaller so it only capture a portion of the 35mm format area.

So when these two captured images are enlarged on your computer screen or printed to say a 5x7 format; the digital sensor image receives a higher level of magnification to cover the same area. That higher level of magnification, needed to fill the viewing area, gives the impression that it was taken with a longer lens. (Essentially the 35mm image it had been cropped, then expanded to its original size.)

In my case the camera sensor size creates the equivalent of a lens with a 1.6 times its actual focal length. Other camera sensors may require a different multiplier or in the case of the high dollar full frame sensors, no multiplier at all.

I hope this helps.

view.jpeg

12. stevet1

stevet1 TPF Noob!

Ron, and Dennis,

Thanks. I think I understand it.
    By cropping the image, and then blowing it back up; does that result in a blurring around the edges, or do they stay sharp?

Steve Thomas