Canon Flashes

TheLogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what the differences are between the speedlight 430 and the speedlight 580. What makes the 580 almost double in cost? and is it worth the extra $? I'm looking to buy a flash that will perform better than the built-in flash.

Thanks!
Logan

Mainly, the 580EX II (guide #190) is more powerful (brighter) than the 430EX II (guide #141).

The 580EX II is able to act as a master to trigger a second flash.

Any flash that you can tilt to bounce off of the ceiling (or a wall) will be a tremendous improvement over direct flash.

The 580 is brighter, can act as a mater or slave, has a built in bounce card and several other things. It's physically bigger than the 430 too. The 580 is dust/weather sealed and it cycles (recharges) faster. The 580 also has a PC sync port whereas the 430 doesn't. The 580 can also be powered from an external power source. The head on the 580 can more more as well.

The 430 is a good flash if you're not planning on controlling other remote flashes with it. If you want to do this eventually, it's an easy upgrade to buy a 580 for your next flash then the 430 will become the slave.

So if I were to buy the 430, would I be seeing poorer quality Images than if I bought the 580? In other words, is the 430 capable and worth the money?

So if I were to buy the 430, would I be seeing poorer quality Images than if I bought the 580? In other words, is the 430 capable and worth the money?
I have two of them and they are quite capable flashes. It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. The 580 has the advantage for things like using it with a softbox where the extra power comes in handy. Generally speaking, my 430's can do everything I need them to do. I often carry a 430 with me in my smaller bag when I'm traveling light as it takes up much less space. I bring the 580 along when I need a master or I plan on shooting lots of shots fast.

well, I want to start shooting some weddings (not for money, but just for the experience) which is typically done with a softbox on the flash, is it not? so would the 430 be adequate for that?

well, I want to start shooting some weddings (not for money, but just for the experience) which is typically done with a softbox on the flash, is it not? so would the 430 be adequate for that?
Shooting with a softbox on your flash, isn't the easiest way to work...to be big enough to make a real difference, it would have to be fairly large, which would be hard to handle during a wedding. Typically, you will want to bounce when you can.

I have a 430EX and it's a great unit. The 580EX is better, for the reasons/extra features listed above...but the 430 is certainly capable of getting the job done.

he could be refering to something like the lumiquest softbox - far smaller than the studio sotboxes and usable when out and about. Certainly something like that is good for when you can't bounce.

I assume that's what he was talking about...but I still think that they aren't a great solution. The smaller ones are too small to be worth using, and the larger ones are just too cumbersome to be running around with (IMO of course).

The flash accessories that I like, act as a bounce card but can easily be adapted to full deflection when needed. For example, the Demb Flip-it and the Lite Scoop.

hmm I have not used the mini-softbox though I have considered it for a small flash unit and macro work -- but the larger box (or rather medium sized one as they have have alarger version) appears to work well to my eyes - though I will admit that I do little people work.
For getting around the place it does not get in the way I find - and I am wandering round zoos and woods - sure it gets caught once or twice but unless your getting really close to things for macro shots it does not much get in the way I find

Don't those softboxes block the AF assist beam?

Nope = from their range : LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Product Guide
only the newer softbox III blocks the AF assist beam and that looks to be a much larger box and more suited to a stand than on camera.
The Softbox (my one) and the Softbox mini don't block the AF assist light and the Softbox II is only for select flashes (bare bulb)

I was wondering what the differences are between the speedlight 430 and the speedlight 580. What makes the 580 almost double in cost? and is it worth the extra $? I'm looking to buy a flash that will perform better than the built-in flash.

Thanks!
Logan

Hi Logan,

Here is a rather detailed review: Canon Speedlite 430EX II vs. Canon Speedlite 580EX II

canon-430ex-ii-vs-canon-580ex-ii-11.jpg

Hope this helps.

well, I want to start shooting some weddings (not for money, but just for the experience) which is typically done with a softbox on the flash, is it not?

Before, maybe... after, maybe. During? Certainly NOT. Also be careful of softbox choices. Small ones are useless, all they do is reduce light power without really diffusing or increasing the apparent size of the light, which is what you want (and why those Gary Fong tupperwares are more cosmetic than really functional).

Medium ones are still difficult to use in tight places and larger ones take a LOT of planning to use. BTW, if you are not the main photographer, let the pro do his job without interference, please. A wedding is NOT the place to be practicing your photography and the visual of you running around with a softbox while the pro is trying to do his job was not a pleasant thought... lol

errr Jerry I am sure you mean something slightly different to what your implying in your post - but reading it it sounds like your saying that shooting as a second/ghost shooter at a wedding is not a good idea which is polar opposite to the advice I have seen from many wedding photographers and also from yourself in the past.
Granted one should certainly have a grasp of the basics of exposure and using the kit before you get to the wedding level - but provided that you remain in the background and don't get in the way of the wedding photographer and also don't start doing things that are not allowed/inaproptriate (such as flashing during the service when flash is not allowed), then it should be a great time toget a feel for the work without the pressure associated as a primary wedding photographer

Most reactions

Back