Canon L Glass

Have u considered the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Supposed to be a cracking lens.....

I agree. Keep in mind that 16 or 17 on a aps-c camera isn't really that wide. It's only equivalent to ~24m in 35mm film standards. If you don't have plans of upgrading to full frame at some point and that amount of wide angle is ok for you then consider something like a 17-55mm f/2.8 by canon, sigma or tamron, or if you want somethign really wide, the tokina listed above is good, or some of the 10-20/22mm lenses. There are lots of options, and if you don't plans to upgrade to full frame, I wouldn't think the either of the lenses you mentions are your best choices.
+1 on both of these comments. Before I got the 5DII, I had the XTi and I purchased the Tokina. It was a smoking lens. I also got it because many people had said it was even good on full frame, so that was a plus. Well I disagree bigtime with the full frame comment because outer edge and corner performance was not very good, plus you could only use it zoomed in all the way at 17mm so it was basically a ho-hum prime. But on crop frame it was an insanely sharp and contrasty lens. Don't worry about the upgrade because you won't lose more than probably $30 when you sell the Tokina to buy the 16 II or 17.

I just sold a 10-22mm and used that cash for a used 17-40mm. All in all I received the 17-40mm and about $20 cash. I just couldn't stand the barrel distortion on the 10-22mm on objects that were close to the lens but on the edge of the frame. I plan on moving up to a 5D from my 40D in the near future.

I'd say go with the 17-40. You won't be disappointed. I bought mine several months ago and it's now on my camera about 90 percent of the time.

Thanks for all your suggestions- I think I'll end up going with the Tokina 11-16, though B&H's website has the warning that it only fits these cameras:

EOS Digital Rebel series or 50D, 40D, 30D & 20D SLR cameras

Do they not list the 7D just because its so new?? If a lens fits on a Rebel it should fit in all non-full frame Canon SLRs right?? I'd like to upgrade to the 7D at some point, so I'm interested in getting lenses that would work with it as well...

thanks,

Thanks for all your suggestions- I think I'll end up going with the Tokina 11-16, though B&H's website has the warning that it only fits these cameras:

EOS Digital Rebel series or 50D, 40D, 30D & 20D SLR cameras

Do they not list the 7D just because its so new?? If a lens fits on a Rebel it should fit in all non-full frame Canon SLRs right?? I'd like to upgrade to the 7D at some point, so I'm interested in getting lenses that would work with it as well...

thanks,

That's likely why. Any EF or EF-S lens will work on the 7D.

I just sold a 10-22mm and used that cash for a used 17-40mm. All in all I received the 17-40mm and about $20 cash. I just couldn't stand the barrel distortion on the 10-22mm on objects that were close to the lens but on the edge of the frame. I plan on moving up to a 5D from my 40D in the near future.

PTLens! :D (Well, at least it mitigates the problem.)

Yeah, but I've also seen examples of the 5DmkII's sensor out-resolving just about any L glass.
If the 5D2 out-resolves L glass, then what about the 50D and 7D? Both have higher pixel density than the 5D2.

Isn't the dixel density equal, or at least close to that of an 8mp 30D?

If the 5D2 out-resolves L glass, then what about the 50D and 7D? Both have higher pixel density than the 5D2.

Isn't the dixel density equal, or at least close to that of an 8mp 30D?

Oh deary me no. The 7D has a much smaller pixel pitch (higher density) than the 5D MkII.
He was saying the 5D2 has a pixel pitch similar to a 30D. He wasn't saying the 7D did. :)

30D: 6.3 µm
5D2: 6.4 µm
7D: 4.3 µm

And Derrel keeps pointing out reviews to the 16-35 being inferior, what about the 16-35 II that replaced it?
It's inferior too.

I figured as much. That's why I scratched Canon off of all my gear and penciled in Nikon over where the manufacture logo should be. Pictures are much sharper now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back