Canon Lens Numbering

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm confused, I bought a Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 for my family who shoot canon. Its a EF-S which I presume is similar to the AF-S system that Nikon use.

What I am now wondering if it is Full frame or Cropped?

How to Canon denote FX and DX like Nikon do?

I think Canon only have 2 100mm macro lenses in production now and the both are "EF", not "EF-S" mount.

Since they are "EF" lens, so it will work on any EOS bodies, film, FF or cropped body.

So EF is the marking for full frame?

Cheers

yes... EF is full frame. EF-S is for cropped.

A EF-S Canon body can use either EF or EF-S lenses.
A EF Canon body (digital or film) can use EF only.

Unlike Nikon, who ensures any Nikon lens can be used on any Nikon camera body. ;)

Canon EF-S lenses will mount on Canon EF camera bodies, but the camera cannot function properly because the back of EF-S lenses interfers with movement of the mirror.

EF-S lenses can be fairly easily modified to work on EF camera bodies.

There are some YouTube videos on just how to accomplish that.

Unlike Nikon, who ensures any Nikon lens can be used on any Nikon camera body. ;)
But Nikon won't let you auto-focus with most of those (non- AF-S/AF-I) AF lenses unless you spend at least $900 on a camera body (D90 or better), and they won't let you meter and shoot in aperture priority with the old manual focus Nikon AI-S lenses unless you spend at least $1500 on a camera body (D300 or better). :x Even the least expensive sub-$500 Canon EOS DSLR or film SLR camera (e.g.: Rebel XS) is fully-functional with every EF lens ever made (since 1987) :D. In fact, if you really like using decades-old Nikon lenses in fully-manual mode as you must do with any less expensive Nikon camera, you can stick an adapter on your Canon EOS camera and do exactly the same thing. ;-)

Canon EF-S lenses will mount on Canon EF camera bodies, but the camera cannot function properly because the back of EF-S lenses interfers with movement of the mirror. EF-S lenses can be fairly easily modified to work on EF camera bodies.
EF-S lenses will not attach to full-frame EOS cameras without modification.

So KmH couldn't get a mac versus pc fame war going in another thread

so...

what do you do? Try a nikon versus canon flame war going in this thread.

Grow up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back