Canon or Nikon DSLR?!

With the 40D, 50D and 5DMk2 you can select the aperture with the wheel (quick control wheel) without pushing any other buttons. It depends on the mode you're in obviously.

but there's still only one wheel? So what if I need to change the shutter and aperture at the same time?

but there's still only one wheel? So what if I need to change the shutter and aperture at the same time?
If you're in manual mode, the dial by your index finger (close to the shutter button) adjusts the shutter speed. In the same mode, if you thumb the quick control wheel it will adjust the aperture. So there are two dials, but Nikon has them located closer together, near the shutter.

there is the quick control wheel on the back of the camera and the other wheel on the top of the camera (where the only wheel on the rebels is located).
So 2 wheels total on the higher up Canons

Oh, and if you're using a 40D/50D/5D the power switch has 3 positions.

Off
On
Quick Control Wheel active

To use the Quick Control Wheel for aperture adjustment, you need to have the power switch in that top most (3rd) position.

you are going to like whatever you get used to. I like nikon, that is what I started with and that is what i know. Choose what fit into your life in terms of price, ergonomic, etc.. If you have never had a DSLR you are going to be happy. Some people swear on cannon that is good for them great. But I think the best advice is to go to the camera store, best buy, whatever and play with them choose what you like and don't look back. I will also encourge you not to buy a highend body out of the gate, buy a used d50/d70/d80 or cannon equivelant to test the waters to see if you really want to do this. If you choose to stay in it spend money on good glass first. Once you get some good glass and start understanding how to use your camera think about upgrading d200/d300/d2/d3/d700 or cannon equivelant. On that note if you choose Nikon and you think you may want to go deeper into this hobby i would steer away from d40/d60 due to the AF motor, Buy a gently used d50,d70,d80.

you two have way way too much disposable income for your own good ;)

I don't, i work in the building trade, photography is part time but would love to give up building

Same here. It's those little side jobs with checks made out to a Mr. "C. Ash" that support this hobby.

Mr. Ash pays taxes on those little side jobs, for those who may be affiliated with any government fee collecting agency.

Since getting into this, I have noticed that on the sidelines of sporting events, most photographers have Canon equipment.

Canon made early technological advances in the early days of their EOS system that won them a large market share of sports photographers. Once invested, many of these organizations will stay with the chosen brands. You'll notice that much of past Olympics were shot through their systems. You will also notice that recently more and more organizations are being won over by Nikon.... the "sea" of white lenses is now a mix of white and black nikkors.

My observation is opposite with news journalists... I've seen more Nikon.

Back to the OP... Either system is more than enough to make any photographer happy for a long time. Choose either based on your personal preferences. If you do a search, almost every thread ends with the same conclusion: Head to the camera shop and try out both. One will feel more natural in your hands than the other.

First of all, a huge thanks to all of you who responded!:D

Like most of you recommended me to try them at a store, this is what I did today. And seriously, this is the better advise I had and will recommend it to everyone like me who have problems to decide which brand to buy! :thumbup:

So, my verdict is : Nikon D90.

It's a little bit more lighter than the Canon 40D and more ergonomic. Since I have small hands Nikon is better for me and plus the shutter and aperture buttons are closer so I big big plus for me as well.

When I tried the 40D, I thought it was stronger-built but I didn't like it a lot. Mostly because it was heavy and a bit too large for my hands. The lack of button features at the back made me choose Nikon over Canon.

They both have great features, but I think it's more important to feel that the camera and you are one because you're gonna be stuck with it for a while.

Thanks! :sexywink:

So now that you've made a decision, I speak on behalf of all of the Canon shooters and I speak thusly:

*shun* *revile* *revile* *shun*

Also...

Have fun :)

If you're in manual mode, the dial by your index finger (close to the shutter button) adjusts the shutter speed. In the same mode, if you thumb the quick control wheel it will adjust the aperture. So there are two dials, but Nikon has them located closer together, near the shutter.

OK that makes sense. Personally never used anything over a rebel but I know the wheel you're talking about.

To clarify I picked my Canon for price and didn't care about the wheel thing that much. Be nice to have when I finally upgrade to a mid range or full frame for sure. Just one of those things I like about the Nikon (I think it was a D40) when I used it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back