Canon or Nikon, which is best

asphaltangel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon EOS Rebel SLR at the moment I have had for quite awhile, and I love it. However I am wanting to add a digital also but I have heard Nikon is better than Canon. I have always used Canon so I would like some input from someone who has used both. Thanks!

TRY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION DUDE!

Either one. Doesn't matter. This question has been asked billions of times.

I've used both. There are pros, and cons, to both, as there are to so many things in life. One is not Better than the other, they are just Different.
If you've loved your film Canon, you'll probably love a Canon DSLR. If you already have lenses that will work on a Canon DSLR, that would certainly sway me towards sticking with Canon.

If you don't have additional lenses and other equipment that will transfer over to the DSLR, then go to a store that has both and "see" them with your hands. See how they feel in your hands. Look at the on-camera controls, the menus--what "feels right" to you?

There is no Right or Wrong answer here; just what is best for YOU. And only you will be able to decide that.

That said, I own a Nikon D5100, so I'm one of the "cool kids." :mrgreen:

IMO, you'd be better off telling us how you see yourself USING a DSLR--portrait shooting, nature, landscapes, sports, street photography? Do you have aims to do some type of photography for a living?

What's your existing equipment, besides the camera body?

With that kind of information, people can help you better by giving you some specific cameras to look at when making your decision.

SORRY!!! And I'm not a DUDE...Give me a break, I'm new to this forum. Just pass my thread's on by next time please. Thanks!

New or not, there is a thread just below this one that was locked for this exact same reason. Don't chastise people because your own laziness.

Thank you. I got a few SMART A** comments to this question. It's just that I have never tried anything besides Canon, so I wanted some input from someone who has Nikon. Your right, one is probably not BETTER than the other just different. And yes, whatever feels and works best for me would be the right choice. I'm thinking of renting a Nikon for a day, and do some shots with it to compare. At the present time I only do this as a hobby, but I am wanting to get into it professionally. So, I guess I will try the Nikon and see what I think. Thanks again!

Your camera is purely a personal thing. The one you end up with is the one that feels comfortable in your hands and leaves you able to make changes to settings without your eye leaving the viewfinder. Too big and it's cumbersome and difficult to use, too small ant it's the same. Given the right technique, frankly, they are all as good as each other....

SORRY!!! And I'm not a DUDE...Give me a break, I'm new to this forum. Just pass my thread's on by next time please. Thanks!

Lets think of it this way... You go to an American Truck forum, and you post "Hey guys, so which one is better? Chevy or Ford?"

It's just one of those things that we can't help but roll our eyes at. Because it happens daily. Like 2-3 times, daily.

Not knocking on your for being new, and I don't want you to leave... But, that's not a great first question to ask in a photography forum. As the threads usually end in being locked.

I wasn't being lazy. I didn't realize that was what the lock meant. As I said, I'm NEW, as in TODAY! And I was simply replying to his RUDENESS. I hope everyone on here are not like you and the other, if so, I won't be on here long.

I understand your point. It would have been nice if you had said it that way the first time. I was simply asking for some advice. Believe me I'll be VERY CAREFUL what I ask from now on.

Welcome to the forum. :D
Since you are new, you may not know. Canon vs Nikon is like Ford vs GM, Coke vs Pepsi, Mac vs PC. You will draw a lot of response like this even if it was not your intension.

Personally, I do not think one brand is better than the other. They both have their own advantages. If ISO performance is your highest priority, Nikon cameras seems better in general. If tiny little macro world is what you are going after, Canon seems better. Someone like the way the photos come out from Canon, while other like Nikon or Sony, Pentax or Olympus.

If you already have a lot of Canon lenses, staying with Canon may not be a bad idea. It is really hard to choose one for you, you just need to find it out yourself. I like Canon, because I use Canon. At the time when I bought my first DSLR, Canon was better since most of them use CMOS sensor while Nikons were CCD. But now, the sensor in Nikon DSLR cameras seems better. So thing changes from time to time.

But one thing I know for sure, even if I change my camera to Nikon, my photos is not going to be better. It is me, not the camera nor brand.

If I were you, I will first set a budget and see what camera fit your budget. Do not just focus on Canon and Nikon. Take a look at other brands as well. Sony and Pentax are not bad either (based on what I read). Once you have a hand full of models on your list, do some research on them. Check with camera review site such as dpreview.com and see what they say.

Good luck.

"CONAN! What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!"

Seriously.

I was sold on the Nikon 5100. I researched it and the Canon T3i for 4 months before I purchased. I couldn't wait to return to the states and purchase the 5100. I knew everything there was to know about it and I preferred some of its features over the T3i. I got home, went to the store for a test drive, hated the way the 5100 felt in my hand and bought the T3i because it fit like a glove. I never looked back or thought about it again.

I was sold on the Nikon 5100. I researched it and the Canon T3i for 4 months before I purchased. I couldn't wait to return to the states and purchase the 5100. I knew everything there was to know about it and I preferred some of its features over the T3i. I got home, went to the store for a test drive, hated the way the 5100 felt in my hand and bought the T3i because it fit like a glove. I never looked back or thought about it again.

That's funny! Every time I pick up a Canon, it just feels wrong.... hence my Nikon choice. Funny how we are all different, isn't it! :)

Most reactions

Back