Canon or Nikon?

MarkR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to upgrade my wife's camera, she currently uses the Canon 350D and usually takes portrate and wedding type of photos. She would like to get more seriously into photography. I have been looking at the canon 5D mkII and Nikon d7000. Obviously it will be down to what she is comfortable with, some of her friends use canon and some Nikon. No significant investment as yet in lenses. Any advice?

I would stick with Canon just because she had Canon before. There really is no winning pro that sways one to one or the other. Some might disagree... to each their own.

It really is about personal preference and what you are comfortable with. Take her into a store that sells DSLRs and let her physically hold one. She'll know when she holds it.

I upgraded from a Canon T1i and was deciding between a few Nikon and Canon bodies, went to the store, held them all, played with them all, about a good hour or so in the store lol. Ended up with the Canon 7D, best choice ever. Feels good holding it, familiar controls, and there is a lot of camera to learn that will push her to get better without being overwhelmed.

Find a good lightly used 5D MKII or 7D and she'll be happy she stuck with Canon.

I would agree, stick with what is familiar and feels good. I personally like Nikon because in my opinion, they feel a little heavier and more solidly built, but on the other hand, the Canon line seems to be a little more versitile.

It is a tough call, but the earlier poster's advice is good, go with what feels right.

@macpro88. Thanks. Good advice. She does enjoy her canon. Will take her to have a feel of the various types. She seems to have quite a good eye for photos. I was also thinking of a 50mm 1.2 or 1.4 lense / 85mm lense and o maybe a 35mm, any advice there?

Last edited:
Nakon, Cinon, it doesn't matter....

Do yourself a favor and dont listen to the fanboys here. Go with whatever you feel is the best choice. If shes already a Canon user, then shes familiar with the Canon setup and the upgrade to a 5DMKII will be an easy transition. I'm a Nikon shooter but I would take the 5DMKII over the Nikon D7000 hands down because its full frame. Both brands have their advantages and disadvantages. They both take stunning photos and are great pieces of equipment. Too many fan boys swear by their brand and chances are 99% of them wouldnt be able to tell the difference between cameras if shown two photo's taken with both cameras. If shes already invested in Canon lens's than sticking with canon would be the obvious choice for financial reasons.

Jsut my 2 cents.

@macpro88. Thanks. Good advice. She does enjoy her canon. Will take her to have a feel of the various types. She seems to have quite a good eye for photos. I was also thinking of a 50mm 1.2 or 1.4 lense / 85mm lense and o maybe a 35mm, any advice there?

If you're going with Canon, get the 50/1.4. It's an outstanding lens on a full frame camera (like the 5D2). No real reason to get the f/1.2 unless you have the coin and she's always going to shoot at f/1.2. The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is also a better choice than the 85/1.2 (In my opinion). The 35mm f/1.4L is an outstanding lens as well, and I use that a lot.

Speaking from experience with the 3 lenses I just recommended, and the fact that I also use 5D(2)'s.

It's not about Canon or Nikon. It's about finding the right camera fitting your needs, likes and budget.
That being said, you can't compare the 5D Mark II versus the D7000... One's full frame and twice the price, for starters.

First worry about understanding what you need/want and defining a budget, having in mind glass is just as important (at least). Then, take a look what's the best you can get with that money, in both Canon and Nikon. Finally, compare both models and decide based on what your preferences are.

This is a great page to quickly compare any 2 given cameras and see pros/cons of each: Camera Comparison - Snapsort

Good luck!

I chose Nikon because I heard it has an edge over Canon in the still department. Canon, I was told, had the edge in video.

I suspect there may be some truth to that, but also believe that either will take great photos if the person behind it makes it happen.

Don't pay attention to all that stuff about which one is better in what. They're both excellent choices and leave at that. If there are differences, these are not for a beginner to worry about. Any of the two would be great for you, me and most people in this forum; w/o noticing the differences. It's just a matter of taste and fanatics :p

If you care for still life, that's no reason to get a Nikon... Neither is it to get a Canon cause it's best in video... You care about what camera model best suits YOUR personal needs/likes and nothing but that. If you care for video, go with a camera according to that, but don't decide based on the brand. It just doesn't work like that in the real world.

Once you've narrowed it down to a couple models, go the a store and use them both for a couple if minutes. Navigate through the menus, see the controls and dials you have and how that's arranged. The one that feels better in your hands, of course comparing 2 cameras fitting your needs, will be the best way to go.

Thanks. Any particular reason for the Nikon choice?
Fanboy with no reasoning behind their pronouncement.

Geeze, I was just joking because I am a fan of Nikon. For me it's about the feel and the button layout. For me the canon's layout is terrible. I knew everyone would chime in and recommend what feels best in the hands of the user.

Next time I won't respond so no one jumps at my throat.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back