Canon or Sigma 50mm 1.4?

Many (even most) of the lower end Sigma's do sometimes have issues with back/front focus... and sometimes even mechanical issues. But their higher end lenses (read that as more expensive) are typically much more reliable. The Sigma 150 and 180 Macros are wonderful lenses.. and the 50 1.4 / 85 1.4 series usually have no problems. I would look at the experience of the person complaining about a lens.. because if they are relatively new to photography, it may be them, and not the lens!

I have a Sigma 85/1.4 (as you probably know). It focuses great on the 5D1, but backfocuses to enough of a degree that microadjusting can't fix on the 5D2. So, I'm going to have to send it in and get it calibrated. Hopefully it's not because I am too new to photography and it's just me. ;)

No Tyler... probably not you! ;) I do find it interesting that it works on one Canon.. but not the other.... sounds more like a Canon issue. Shouldn't they calibrate their bodies to similar specs? (not knocking Canon... or trying to start a war, just seems odd)!

They do, generally. However, I have to send the lens and camera to Sigma, not Canon to get it Calibrated. It is a known issue on Sigma's end, and I've confirmed it with Customer Service.

The Sigma supposedly has awful auto focus issues. I just spent a couple hours researching this myself, and I'm not willing to gamble on getting a "good" copy of the Sigma when the Canon works 100% of the time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Many (even most) of the lower end Sigma's do sometimes have issues with back/front focus... and sometimes even mechanical issues. But their higher end lenses (read that as more expensive) are typically much more reliable. The Sigma 150 and 180 Macros are wonderful lenses.. and the 50 1.4 / 85 1.4 series usually have no problems. I would look at the experience of the person complaining about a lens.. because if they are relatively new to photography, it may be them, and not the lens!

The 50/1.4 is one of their "EX" lenses, which shouldn't have this problem in the first place. I've seen enough professional reviewers and enough users who actually know what auto focus microadjustment is complaining to not take that crap shoot. Google will quickly pull up all of the user responses.

There are a number of use here on TPF that are apparently VERY lucky then, as we have the 50 1.4, or the 85 1.4, or some of the long macro lenses... and they work fine for us, with no issues. And with such a small cross section of the population represented here, statistically, that is pretty significant. Of course, most of those here who have them are also not using entry level bodies! That might be a factor also.....

I have a Sigma 85/1.4 (as you probably know). It focuses great on the 5D1, but backfocuses to enough of a degree that microadjusting can't fix on the 5D2. So, I'm going to have to send it in and get it calibrated. Hopefully it's not because I am too new to photography and it's just me. ;)

No Tyler... probably not you! ;) I do find it interesting that it works on one Canon.. but not the other.... sounds more like a Canon issue. Shouldn't they calibrate their bodies to similar specs? (not knocking Canon... or trying to start a war, just seems odd)!

They do, generally. However, I have to send the lens and camera to Sigma, not Canon to get it Calibrated. It is a known issue on Sigma's end, and I've confirmed it with Customer Service.

That is one of the disadvantages of Non-OEM lenses... firmware issues with newer camera bodies. My 50 1.4 worked great on my D7000, and still works great on my D800. So apparently it is not always an issue....

Yes I have the 1.8. Thank you. It was the first lens I bought after only having my kit lens. Huge difference!! I was in heaven. I could not believe the difference in quality... Unbelievable difference! That lens purchase literally was the catalyst to this passion for photography. So if the 1.4 is even better... For less than 500... I am really thinking this is the way to go. And I am not seeing much of a difference in cost between the canon and sigma, so I definitely am ok going with the canon lens. When being new to photography, it's so hard to understand how big a difference such a small difference (1.8 vs 1.4) can make. That's why I'm here though... For your help :) even wondered if I should keep saving... For a long time... To get the 50mm 1.2... Very expensive :/

That is one of the disadvantages of Non-OEM lenses... firmware issues with newer camera bodies. My 50 1.4 worked great on my D7000, and still works great on my D800. So apparently it is not always an issue....

I never said it was always an issue. But you can't always be sure.

The Sigma 50 1.4 gets a vote from me but then again I love Sigma lenses.

Both my Sigma lenses focus beautifully and have no issues at all in this depatment, maybe it was just good luck. But I have a friend who is a 5D2 owner and has three Sigma lenses and he loves them and has had no issues with AF issues at all.

The Canon 50 1.4 is an extremely good lens but the Sigma 50 1.4 is better IMO simply due to the fact it creates such dreamy creamy bokeh. There was a thread on a Canon forum about this particular area, the Sigma 50 has better bokeh. If you want to do portraits, the Sigma is the one to choose. I have it for portrait work and close ups and have never been dissapointed by it's performance, perfect sharpness in the borders corners is not a requirement for me.

My next lens purchase is going to be a Sigma 85 1.4 when I have the money lying around!

The Sigma supposedly has awful auto focus issues. I just spent a couple hours researching this myself, and I'm not willing to gamble on getting a "good" copy of the Sigma when the Canon works 100% of the time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

The 50/1.4 is one of their "EX" lenses, which shouldn't have this problem in the first place. I've seen enough professional reviewers and enough users who actually know what auto focus microadjustment is complaining to not take that crap shoot. Google will quickly pull up all of the user responses.

And Canon don't have any issues at all with Autofocus? I'm sorry but I get sick of the misinformation certain people are spreading round the net that are completely false. I think Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina all make good lenses and this biased view of 'My lens brand is better than yours' is a bit silly in my opinion.

No disrespect intended but these arguments against third party lenses are getting very long in the tooth.

And Canon don't have any issues at all with Autofocus? I'm sorry but I get sick of the misinformation certain people are spreading round the net that are completely false. I think Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina all make good lenses and this biased view of 'My lens brand is better than yours' is a bit silly in my opinion.

No disrespect intended but these arguments against third party lenses are getting very long in the tooth.

Josh, to be honest. Sigma has not had a great track record in terms of QC, but it IS getting better. I too like Sigma, but I wouldn't buy the Sigma 50/1.4 over the Canon 50/1.4 for the price.

Sigma 1.4 > Canon 50 1.4 all day and them some. Goodle the reviews if you like.

At F/4 the Sigma blows away canon's non circular too

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have one Sigma lens now which is the 10-20mm (Bought and sold the 105mm Sigma Macro in the past). Just got it few months ago and have not really did any focus test on it yet. (most of the time, I shot it with f/5.6 or above. f/8 being the most for now)

However, out of all the Lens manufacturers, Sigma is the only one I heard people said it has front/back focus issue and need to send back for calibration. Not sure why. It could be Sigma lens do have issues, or they are more popular than others, or they are more popular among experience/knowledgeable photographers who know if their lens are to the spec or not.

As for the 50mm f/1.4, I like my Canon. No complaint so far. :)

Yes I have the 1.8. Thank you. It was the first lens I bought after only having my kit lens. Huge difference!! I was in heaven. I could not believe the difference in quality... Unbelievable difference! That lens purchase literally was the catalyst to this passion for photography. So if the 1.4 is even better... For less than 500... I am really thinking this is the way to go. And I am not seeing much of a difference in cost between the canon and sigma, so I definitely am ok going with the canon lens. When being new to photography, it's so hard to understand how big a difference such a small difference (1.8 vs 1.4) can make. That's why I'm here though... For your help :) even wondered if I should keep saving... For a long time... To get the 50mm 1.2... Very expensive :/

The 50/1.2 actually isn't a very great lens. The Canon 50/1.4 pretty much beats it in resolutions all around and has faster AF, although the 50/1.2 has better bokeh and build quality (obviously). I definitely would not pay $1500 for a bigger, heavier lens that is softer than its $400 equivalent.

The 50/1.2 actually isn't a very great lens. The Canon 50/1.4 pretty much beats it in resolutions all around and has faster AF, although the 50/1.2 has better bokeh and build quality (obviously). I definitely would not pay $1500 for a bigger, heavier lens that is softer than its $400 equivalent.
that is seriously the best thing I have heard all day.... all week... thank you

Josh, to be honest. Sigma has not had a great track record in terms of QC, but it IS getting better. I too like Sigma, but I wouldn't buy the Sigma 50/1.4 over the Canon 50/1.4 for the price.

I do agree, that Sigma didn't have the best of reps. It is more the way some people are actually trying to talk people out of buying Sigma lenses as in 'Don't buy that lens, I have read on some online forums that all of those lenses have Autofocus issues'. They could be passing up an opportunity to own a brilliant lens. That is my only beef I guess!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back