Canon Powershot A720 IS -vs- Casio Exilim ex-z1080

Bluesman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys!

I've been planning on buying a new camera for the summer. I want it to be a fun, simple little thing that makes nice photo's. Not too expensive, just something fun to shoot some photo's with during the holiday. I know what I can expect from a compact camera, so my standards aren't extremely high. I'm currently in doubt between two very different ones. I can get them for around the same price at the moment. My parents have a 6MP Casio camera which is a great little thing. That's why I'm also looking at this one.

Canon Powershot A720 IS
Detailled specs here

Casio Exilim Ex-z1080
Detailled specs here

Here's what I've summed up for myself:
Canon pro:
Canon lens
Better zoom & macro
Standard AA batteries
Image quality seems very good

Canon con:
Bulky
Made of cheap-feeling plastic

Casio pro:
Made of metal, not plastic
Smaller & nicer looking
Image quality seems also very good
Very fast operation

Casio con:
Is the lens and sensor as good as the Canon?
Uses battery pack instead of AA (expensive)

I really don't care about the 10mp vs 8mp. I'll probably put it on 4 or 5 because it's faster, and I'm not planning to do poster prints of me and my drunk idiot buddies.

Any of you got experience with both or one of the two? Thanks. :)

Hi Bluesman,
Welcome to the forum. Truth is....both of these cameras are point & shoot, both are good cameras if that's all you're looking for right now.
My opinion is....when in doubt--go canon.
But I'd go to the store and hold them both, see which one physically feels better to you and go from there.
Good luck!

Just ordered the Casio. I couldn't help myself... lol.

The Casio has no viewfinder. Good luck seeing that LCD screen in the summer sun.
I have the 10MP predecessor. Casio did a real good job on the the monitor. I use it exclusively at the beach (where I wouldn't dare take my any of my SLRs).

That's good to hear. I'll post some pictures when I received the camera, which will probably be in a week.

Received my carrying case and Kingston 50x high-speed 2gb sd card today :D If all goes well, my camera sould be here tomorrow. I can't wait!

Just received the camera. Happy with my choice. It's small, feels solid and really fast.

It has a 10 mp sensor. But I'm never going to use that resolution really. I'm planning on printing them no bigger then 13x18. I can also set it to 5 mp.

What would yield better quality results? Setting the camera to 5, or on 10 (to resize them later on the computer)?

Anyone knows?

I'm not sure about Casio, but the way that Canon, Sony and Fuji implement lower megapixels on their p&s cameras is to use only the center portion of the sensor, so it's exactly like cropping your 10 megapixel photo to 5mp. As you noted, if you aren't printing at large sizes, it shouldn't matter.

If you're going to use 5mp, you might be interested in gaining more zoom as a tradeoff. See here for more info:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=27450018

Most reactions

Back