Canon Rebel 300D

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have thought about getting into the digital relm but I don't have a lot of money... I have seen these (Canon Rebel 300D) going for around $300.00 which is what I could afford if my Mom and Dad go halvies. It will fit the lenses that I have for my film camera. Have any of you ever used this camera and if so was it a good digital starting camera?

It is/was probably the biggest selling DLSR camera ever. Lots and lots of member here did/still do use it.

If it's the best DSLR you can afford...then go for it.

One cool thing about the 300D (digital Rebel)...is that you can install hacked firmware and open up a bunch of hidden options. Canon had a higher camera (the 10D) which was basically the same as the D Rebel...but they disabled a bunch of features...just to make people buy the 10D. Someone figured it out and hacked the firmware. :D

There have been plenty of improvements since the Digital Rebel...the newer cameras are certainly better...but still, the D Rebel will be a fair bit better than most P&S digital cameras out today.

The image quality of the 300D is superb. Low noise, sharp, colorful images. The glass is really the important part. At 6mp, you'll have plenty of room for enlargement.

digital matt said:
The glass is really the important part. At 6mp, you'll have plenty of room for enlargement.
That's what I thought. All I'm conserned with right now is image quality and having the same settings that my Canon EOS ELAN II had... but digital... That's all I'm looking at right now. I'm spending to much money in film and developement to be doing film photography as a hobbie. If I was going to be able to sell the prints of my film (which I'm no where good enough yet) then I'll pull out the film camera and put some good slide film in. I think that a digital would help with the cost of this hobbie. :)

One thing to consider is the difference between the Elan and the Rebel. The Elan is a pretty good body with a thumb wheel. The Rebel is more plastic and doesn't have the fantastic wheel. You may be able to find a used 10D or 20D...which would be a lot more like your Elan.

However, those will be more expensive than the Rebel.

Big Mike said:
However, those will be more expensive than the Rebel.

Sadly yes :(... That's why I wanted to go with the 300D... I would love to have a 10D or 20D... But it's will be a while before I am able to get the money to buy one of those.

don't you want to w8 let's say... half a year, earn some more and go with for example 350d?

that's what i did and I am very happy with it :D

Most reactions

Back