Canon Rebel vs Canon Mark III

believe me I'm going to spend a lot of time with her ahead of time. I'm also going to program the settings before the wedding as well as verify the config during the wedding. I'm also going to be taking a lot of the photos myself anyways.
Won't necessarily matter because during a wedding you'll need all sorts of different settings. I've shot a wedding before and I was yanking settings on my D80 and D40 all over the place as the lighting conditions and scenes and subjects all changed. I wouldn't expect too much of her (no offense to her and her abilities, but it's asking a lot with a camera she hasn't used before, and in a very demanding situation), and by all means shoot in RAW.

I'm not even saying to spend $1000's on $1000's on a photographer... even a mid to lower priced photographer will probably be a better route. Knowledge, experience, equipment all are very important...

I appreciate the concern and I agree with everything everyone is saying. What I know is I'd be comfortable shooting my wedding because i know what my camera as well as what I am capable of. I also know that I am going to be purchasing more equipment before the wedding in addition to spending a lot of time with the person that is going to be shooting.

Ok good luck to yah... congrats on getting married.

My last bit of advice....

The $$$ spent purchasing more equipment would probably pay for a photographer's services.

When I got married we were broke (put everything into the wedding itself). We searched for options and found a photographer who sadly lost all of his equipment and studio in a fire a couple months prior. I provided him equipment, a few weeks to learn the equipment, and he shot the wedding. In return, I gave him around $500 bucks (Wedding and Reception) and I get to keep the negatives. What I paid for was his experience shooting wedding and events.

troll-web.jpg

"The $$$ spent purchasing more equipment would probably pay for a photographer's services."

Very true but than I wouldn't have the equipment...lol

My wedding is important to me as well as the photos. She takes a LOT of photos for her job (travel agent) as well as she is one of those people who doesn't stop taking photos during parties. I'm also a little more relaxed as she is my fiance's best friend's mother so I don't have to worry about the maturity factor. I know she'll take it seriously and want to make sure its right. Plus with me looming in the shadows it will get done right.

Honestly, why bother asking when you're just going to ignore what everyone says? According to your sig, you don't even own a real flash yet!

Will you get some good shots? Of course, but I would guess in the end you're going to end up with <5% of your shots as keepers.

In addition do you really want to spend your own wedding with your face behind the camera?

"Yeah, your guitars are off. Try something like a 50watt crate 1x12 practice amp vs. a 150watt Hughes & Kettner Triamp with a 4x12 cabinet."

This was just a random analogy I used. I know the Mark III is better camera as well as Martin a better guitar.

believe me I'm going to spend a lot of time with her ahead of time. I'm also going to program the settings before the wedding as well as verify the config during the wedding. I'm also going to be taking a lot of the photos myself anyways.

And then a I read a little further...Even if you find a wedding photographer for $800, I can almost guarantee a better quality product than you can take with the rebel, unless you're not telling us you have $5000 in glass.

ED: And your lenses are crap for the most part. At least for wedding photography and if you're having an in door wedding. Their both too slow and both generally seen as soft.

Not to be an ass, but I'm not going to sugar coat it...I'm not one for sweet stuff.

How am I ignoring what everyone says? I thanked everyone for their feedback. My original question was answered by post 8 and I thanked everyone.

I mentioned the wedding "matter of factly". This wasn't my post. I was making conversation at this point.

added - Sorry all for getting off topic. I hope it didn't seem like I was ignoring what everyone was saying. I valued everything everyone was saying and I appreciate the concern. I assume noone expected me to say Gee I didn't think of that I'm hiring a photographer today! With the money we are spending on the wedding we could deal with decent pictures that could be touched up after the fact. Its the decision I've decided to make and I appreciate everyone who was civil with their responses.

One thing you didn't ask much about was GLASS. I am thinking your original post was to make us say "Yeah, you don't need to hire a PRO with a 1dsMKIII...you can have your friend do the same with a Rebel XT". If this was the intent of the question, then there's plenty more to it.

The benefit of a nice lens compared to your two starter ones, will make a HUGE difference. Those lenses are absolutely terrific for starters, but certainly have limitations.

Keith
Thanks for your post. My original post was to see exactly the out of box differences between the 2 camera when it came to normal shooting. I think people should hire pros as 1 it helps the business as well as you get what you pay for. I feel I can get decent quality photos that I'd be happy with and that's the only reason why I'm handling the photos myself.

What I wasn't able to ask about yet was about the glass, flash, filters etc which was either going to be a new thread or part of this post.

Keith
Thanks for your post. My original post was to see exactly the out of box differences between the 2 camera when it came to normal shooting. I think people should hire pros as 1 it helps the business as well as you get what you pay for. I feel I can get decent quality photos that I'd be happy with and that's the only reason why I'm handling the photos myself.

What I wasn't able to ask about yet was about the glass, flash, filters etc which was either going to be a new thread or part of this post.

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon 580EX II = $3000 and enough equipment to take good pictures of a wedding, provided the person behind the camera understands it all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back