Canon Speedlite 430EX As Strobe

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Speedlite 430EX does not have a strobe function. For that, I would have to purchase the 580EX. The 430EX does strobe (from what I have found online), but only if slaved to the 580. Is there a way around this with a wireless flash/strobe trigger on a Canon 7D (not Mark II)?

not sure I understand.

by "does not have a strobe function", do you mean rapidly pulsing light???

do you just want to trigger the 430ex remotely? you can put it in slave mode and activate it with your popup flash, or buy wireless triggers.

My Speedlite 430EX does not have a strobe function.
I think only the higher-end units do that on their own. You might be able to find a trigger that does that, but cost-wise you might be better off by buying the 580EX or another brand that does it.

Your 430EX is a strobe.
At issue is how fast the main capacitor can be recharged between flashes (strobes).
The lower the power setting the faster the main capacitor can be recharged.
The 580EX can recharge faster.

Your 430EX is a strobe.
At issue is how fast the main capacitor can be recharged between flashes (strobes).
The lower the power setting the faster the main capacitor can be recharged.
The 580EX can recharge faster.

right, the 580ex can recharge slightly faster, otherwise it's a 'strobe'
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I do use the pop up flash on the 7D to trigger a Speedlite and it works well, but I don't always want direct flash on someone's face, however I'm sure that a hot-shoe flash trigger for external flashes would be the answer for that problem.
What I really want to do, without spending a lot of money on a new flash -- I just want to try it -- is to photograph a moving object with a fairly slow shutter, with a strobe , creating in the photo, several instances of the same object. So yes, a rapidly pulsing light is the goal. From what I have read, the 580 will cause the 430, as a slave, to strobe. I was hoping that there would be a hot-shoe trigger that I could buy that would emulate the master/slave connection between a 580EX and a 430EX causing the 430EX to strobe. Sounds like I'm out of luck. Thanks for the replies.

So you want high speed sync?

Re high speed sync, I'm not sure that that is the same thing. Here is an example of the type of photo, with the same object appearing multiple times in the same photo. Photographed in the dark, the light strobes, capturing the object over and over, during only one exposure. File:Bouncing ball strobe edit.jpg - Wikipedia

Why didn't you say that when I asked in #2? Buy the cheap neewer 750ii flash if they make it for Canon. It has that feature.

Thanks, I looked at the Tamron and I am considering purchasing it. In the meantime, I have borrowed a flash to try. I have another question about flash but will make it a new question.

Sounds like you are looking for stroboscopic(multi-flash) where you can set you flash power and MHz for the flash to pulse.

The 430EX doesn't have this option, you would need to buy/rent a 580/600 to achieve this or find a third party flash that supports it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back