Canon T2i... Right purchase!? Basic questions...

phillychad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

Glad I found this forum... Been poking around and there seems to be some really helpful info on here.... I look forward to getting to know ya's!

So here are my "issues"....
Just purchased a Canon T2i (550D) with the 18-55 kit lens...
I am new to dslr's but always loved photography...
I wanted to purchase a system that I could grow with as my skills and understanding improve...
Was always a NIKON fan but decided to try CANON. The other camera I was considering (at the time) was the Nikon 3100. Cheaper but seemed to be on par with the T2i as far as features go. I loved the articulating LCD on the Nikon and would have gone with it but it just felt too small in my hands. One of the things I liked about the Canon was the ability to add a battery grip. Allthough the Canon feels pretty good without it anyway, its nice to have that option. So here are my questions... I hope some of you may be able to help!?

1. This may have more to do with the lens I'm using...
I noticed when shooting at 18mm, my landscape shots seem to be "tilted"... The horizon seems to tilt. Is this due to the wide angle? Am I holding the camera wrong? Is it just a perspective issue? Sounds silly but I spent the morning shooting a sunrise, came home and noticed all my pics were... "tilted". I was shooting upriver so maybe that has something to do with it?

2. Speed... Didn't think this would be an "issue" but I have always wanted to capture a pic of my squirrel jumping and to be able to catch her mid flight. At best, I was able to get the shot but it was certainly NOT what I was hoping for. I thought I would have a slew of "positions" to choose from. Kind of like taking a burst of a golfer during his stroke. This camera only seems to want to capture him with his club up in the air and then maybe with the club on the ball. (didn't shoot that, just a thought) Did read that I can shoot at approx 4 frames a sec. thought I could capture more?

3. Just read something about the T2i not being very good at shooting Jpeg's. The article reccomended keeping her on RAW. Is this something any of you have come across?

I'm certain I have a million other questions I would like to ask but they are slipping me right now. I would like to have your opinion on not only the above questions but also a recommendation on if this camera was the right choice for me. I am still within the return period. Obviously if money wasn't an issue I would have bought the 7D but might be able to swing the 60D if it would fit my needs much better.

Video... Its an option I will like to mess with but for the most part I shoot pics... I am excited to play with that feature want to take one thing at a time...

Maybe the Nikon 3100 would be a better choice afterall? For what its worth... The few shots I have taken so far have BLOWN US AWAY!

Like I said... Im new to the dslr world so please go wasy on me... :lmao: I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to getting to know not only this (or another?) system and THIS BOARD! Thanks again! Chad

Ps. If I posted this in the wrong thread kindly move it... Maybe there is a Canon thread for newbies?

"action sequence".... squirrel

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

1st pic (on fridge) is to show you where she started. 2nd pic was the very next shutter release. I shot with the main dial on "sports"... If you need any other info let me know and I'll get it right to you.

* The above pics are nasty, I know... But just wanted to give ex. of what I am trying to do...

Last edited:
wth... you have a pet squirrel? LOL

Welcome to the forum.

1. This may have more to do with the lens I'm using...
I noticed when shooting at 18mm, my landscape shots seem to be "tilted"... The horizon seems to tilt. Is this due to the wide angle? Am I holding the camera wrong? Is it just a perspective issue? Sounds silly but I spent the morning shooting a sunrise, came home and noticed all my pics were... "tilted". I was shooting upriver so maybe that has something to do with it?
If it's tilted, then you weren't holding the camera level when you took the shot. Or do you mean that the horizon was bent (curved)? That could be distortion caused by the lens. A better lens might have less distortion, but it's not too hard to fix with software.

2. Speed... Didn't think this would be an "issue" but I have always wanted to capture a pic of my squirrel jumping and to be able to catch her mid flight. At best, I was able to get the shot but it was certainly NOT what I was hoping for. I thought I would have a slew of "positions" to choose from. Kind of like taking a burst of a golfer during his stroke. This camera only seems to want to capture him with his club up in the air and then maybe with the club on the ball. (didn't shoot that, just a thought) Did read that I can shoot at approx 4 frames a sec. thought I could capture more?
Two issues here. One is shutter speed. The way you capture motion in a photo, has to do with the shutter speed. A faster (shorter) shutter speed will give you less blur, but it also lets in less light...and you need light for your exposure. So to get a faster shutter speed, you need to compensate with either the lens aperture or the camera ISO. Your lens doesn't have a large aperture, so when you don't have a lot of light, you need to turn up the ISO to get those faster shutter speeds.
The other issue is frame rate (number of shots per second). 3-4 fps is pretty average for cameras in that price range. You would have to move up to something like a 60D, 7D or 1D (in the Canon line up) to be able to shoot faster.

3. Just read something about the T2i not being very good at shooting Jpeg's. The article reccomended keeping her on RAW. Is this something any of you have come across?
Shooting in RAW is the best option, but that is pretty universal and not something specific to that camera.

My advice to you, is to think less about the camera model or brand that you have (or want to get) and concentrate more on learning about exposure (shutter speed, aperture & ISO). A better idea for an upgrade, is usually the lens.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

The above two images show how I would normally hold the camera... Notice the tilted horizon... Am I just hold the camera wrong or is the tilt due to something else? Like I said above... I have been involved with photography ever since I was little. Allthough this is the first time I have ever used a Dslr... I would think holding a camera "level" shouldn't be something one has to think about. Never had this issue before...

Below are two identical images... The first is with me holding the camera naturally.... Notice the tilt? The second is me uncomfortably having to "correct" the image by being aware I am putting the two horizontal focus points. The "level" image just doesn't feel right... Whats the deal!?!

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

Hey there! Sorry... I mentioned it above. I am trying to capture a "action" shot of my squirrel in mid flight. I am using a T2i and the drive just seems to be crawling... Was wondering if I am doing something wrong... Camera set to "action".... I just got it. First week with a DSLR. Would think the "action" setting would be correct to use in this situation, no?

And yes... I have a pet squirrel. :mrgreen:

That's what I am saying!! :lol:

Ok, I better get this outta the way since I plan on using this board as a place to learn this awesome "hobby" and hopefully make a few friends...

We have a squirrel... :cat:
About 6 years ago we were in the park when we came upon a guy letting his pitt bull tear apart something. He was cheering the dog on... Thought "Hmm, strange a guy would get this excited over a squeaky toy!" Turns out it was a baby squirrel. Well, as an animal lover... I just lost it! :gah:
We managed to get the dog off and the squirrel ran up into my arms. Honestly, it scared the heck outta me as I grew up thinking that squirrels are noting but rats with bushy tails that carry rabies... Brushed the squirrel off me and she just kept running back up into either me or my wifes arms... Guess it was a better choice then being on the ground with that dog!

Long, short... took her home... nursed her wounds... tried to re-release her... She wasn't having it! Guess the "good life" was too much to pass up!? Now six or so years later and can honestly say that... I HAVE NEVER OWNED A BETTER PET!

Met MANY friends on-line in the re-hab community and have become active in helping squirrels when needed. :D

So that's the story of how Squirrely Pop (her name, she "pop's" up in the air like pop corn when excited) came to be.... :love:

111aaa.jpg

can they be pottie trained?

About 6 years ago we were in the park when we came upon a guy letting his pitt bull tear apart something. He was cheering the dog on... Thought "Hmm, strange a guy would get this excited over a squeaky toy!" Turns out it was a baby squirrel. Well, as an animal lover... I just lost it! :gah:
We managed to get the dog off and the squirrel ran up into my arms.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The above two images show how I would normally hold the camera... Notice the tilted horizon... Am I just hold the camera wrong or is the tilt due to something else? Like I said above... I have been involved with photography ever since I was little. Allthough this is the first time I have ever used a Dslr... I would think holding a camera "level" shouldn't be something one has to think about. Never had this issue before...

also my wife naturally leans on right when she takes pictures. It is something you need to think about, or you adjust after shooting with some PP.
By the way, feeling natural to be leaning can be due to the different size and button position in the new camera vs. before - you are used to a specific hands position that is no more valid.

Using a dSLR makes you think more at what you are doing, because it becomes not only taking snapshots, but attempting something extra. So perhaps before this experience you did not consider leaning lines being a problem.

Anyway, as already told by Big Mike, do not concentrate on brand and model, but on basics - which are the same for any brand ;) .

Great story. I know a family that does the same thing. They are usually sucessful in their releases. However they have racoon (de-clawed) and a skunk (they took the glands that make them spray out) that they couldn't get to leave.

As far as the T2i, it's what I have and I couldn't be happier with it. You need to work on your shutter speed to get the jumping action.
With the horizon, it is just the way you are holding it. I'm not sure how you could be holding it wrong, but you can straighten that relatively easy with software.

Below are two identical images... The first is with me holding the camera naturally.... Notice the tilt? The second is me uncomfortably having to "correct" the image by being aware I am putting the two horizontal focus points. The "level" image just doesn't feel right... Whats the deal!?!
That is just user error...sorry to say.
If you want a level shot, you have to hold the camera level...and you should be able to see that in the viewfinder when you are shooting. Some cameras have a grid that you can turn on, in the viewfinder, but I'm not sure about your model. You could use the AF square boxes and check their position in relation to the horizon, that's what I often do.

It's a little weird that you find it more comfortable to hold the camera on a tilt, but it's not unheard of. It really has nothing to do with digital vs film, it's just the ergonomics of the cameras you had and what you have now. I'm sure that with a little conscious effort and practice, you can get back to level feeling more natural to you (on this camera).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back