Canon T3 Flash Problems

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First, I would like to say I am new to the forums. Looking forward to a long stay here developing my skills. I'm not new to the world of SLR's, but still consider myself an amateur.

Now onto my reason for my first post here.

Recently purchased T3. Have gone through about 1000 photos so far in the past few weeks. I am now having an issue with the internal flash.
Auto mode pop-up working just fine (eliminating the hot shoe pin problem? This only has one pin on the shoe under the springs right?), Auto focus is working just fine. Took a bunch of photos last night (all flash) and all of a sudden flash stopped firing including the preflash.

The body does fire an external macro light just fine via the hot shoe. I thought at first it was the battery starting to get low. Changed that to a full charged one and same thing. Same happens with my 55-250 lens as well.

Curious to see if it's possible that I took too many photos in a short period of time and the flash either overheated or blew out. Or possibly another issue. Thanks.

Last edited:
Needless to say this didn't work. Does Canon really expect me to pay out of pocket to send this camera out for warranty repair? Do they not have authorized camera repair places for warranty repair? I can't even find a replacement bulb for this thing to see if that's the problem or not. I thought it was Nikon that didn't allow retailers to buy replacement parts for resell. Not Canon.... Not a good first impression of this camera.

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We are sorry to hear the flash on your EOS rebel T3 will not fire.
As a first step towards resolving this issue, we recommend you restore the camera's default settings, Mr. Stivers.
You can reset to the factory settings by following the procedure below. This will erase all custom settings on the camera.
1. Please remove the lens, battery, and memory card.
2. Please clean the battery contacts with a clean pencil eraser (be sure to remove all debris).
3. Please place the memory card and fully charged battery in the camera.
4. Replace the lens.
5. Power the camera to P mode.
6. Press MENU.
7. Go to the SETUP 3 tab.
8. Select CLEAR SETTINGS.
9. Press the SET button.
10. Select CLEAR ALL CAMERA SETTINGS.
11. Press the SET button.
12. Select OK.
13. Press the SET button.
Please test your flash by changing your camera to Creative Zone (P, Tv, Av, M, or A-DEP). Next, press the flash button. If you take a picture and the flash still does not fire, unfortunately, your camera will need to be sent to the service center to be examined.
For factory service, please forward your camera to one of the Factory Service Centers shown below. When shipping your camera, please be sure to remove the memory card and batteries. You are not required to send any accessories or manuals when shipping the camera. Be sure to include your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please), telephone number, and a letter describing the issue with the product. If it has been less than one year since the camera was purchased, we ask that you also include proof of warranty in the form of a copy of your sales receipt.

As we do not provide RMA numbers for service, we suggest using a trackable and insurable service (i.e. UPS, Federal Express, Priority Mail) to ship your camera. Please package the camera very securely in a sturdy shipping box to prevent damage during shipment.

Please send your camera to one of the Factory Service Centers below:
Canon Factory Service Center
12022 Canon Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23606
Or

100 Ridge Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831

Or

15955 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA 92618

Upon arrival at the Factory Service Center, your camera will be logged in to our repair database and assigned a repair number. Next, the camera will be visually inspected and you will be advised of the findings. If the required repairs are covered by the warranty, the repairs will begin immediately, and you will not be contacted. When the repairs are complete, the camera will be shipped back to you via Federal Express. The length of time for the repair will be dependent upon the nature of the repair and availability of parts, if needed. Usually, warranted repairs are completed within approximately seven to ten business days of the camera's arrival at the Factory Service Center.

All decisions regarding warranty coverage are made by the Factory Service Center at the time of repair. If the repair entails something that is not covered in warranty, a written estimate will be sent to you at the address that you have provided. The repairs to your camera will not begin until you approve this estimate and make payment arrangements. If, after receiving the estimate, you do not wish to have the camera repaired, please inform the Factory Service Center of your decision as soon as possible. If you decline the estimate, the camera will be shipped back to you unrepaired.

Once you have confirmed with your shipper that the camera has been delivered, you are more than welcome to contact us for repair updates. Please include your name, address, and telephone number, as well as the serial number of the camera, in all repair status inquiries.

Please note that our U.S. Factory Service Centers are unable to accept packages from or return equipment to addresses outside the United States.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS Rebel T3.
Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,
Robert
Technical Support Representative
Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email. If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email, you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).
If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

xtreme, did you send your t3 back to canon and is it fixed? Jay

They sent me a prepaid UPS shipping label, afer i complained about the need to ship this out for repair. I haven't gotten the chance to ship it out just yet.

Good deal on the prepaid label. Please let us know what the problem is, I too have a t3. Jay

I shipped the camera out on the 25th, they received it on their dock the next day. I sent an email asking them where I can check up on the repair a few days later when I had not heard anything. This was their reply:
According to procedure, we are unable to notify the customer of the camera status immediately after receiving the camera. It will take approximately 2 to 3 days to process your camera and assign for evaluation. Once the camera has been processed into the repair database it may take up to 2 business days to be evaluated by the Canon technician. Once the evaluation is completed, you will be informed of the camera status via email by the email address that you have provided for us with the shipment of your camera. If you have not provided an email, you can contact contact us by calling 1-800-652-2666 or the number listed below and we will assist you with the repair status of your camera.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS Rebel T3. Thank you for choosing Canon.
Sincerely,
Torrey
Technical Support Representative

Camera was shipped back out to me on the 30th. Received it today, the 1st. No correspondence by the repair center at all. I didn't even know the camera was being shipped back out. No email, nothing. All I received was a phone call from FedEx saying I had a package I had to sign for coming today. Also, as indicated on the accessories received on the paperwork, when I shipped the camera out, I shipped it out WITH the body cap AND the eye cup. Received it WITHOUT the eyecup. Waiting on a reply email back from them.

They replaced the entire top part of the body. Flash now works again. Still kind of neutral about my feeling towards their customer service/repair procedures. Especially since they shipped the camera back to me without the eyecup. Glad I didn't send it out with the strap, battery and lens.

Faster then I expected, but no communication, and I just received my new eyecup in the mail yesterday. Again all communication was initiated by myself.

P.S. Where at in Eastern PA? That's where I am at.

Most reactions

Back