Canon T4i (650D)

i know they dropped it 50$ on their website but don't you think the t3i will drop to the current t2i price when the t4i is released? the t3i will become last generation and t4i will be new generation. that's my thought process but please correct me if im wrong so i don't keep waiting for the t4i to be released for no reason

A few years ago when I just got into photography by buying a rebel XTi, I paid 800 bucks for it up front when it was just released. I didn't know anything at all about ISO, aperture or shutter speed because I've never even heard those terms. While shelling out all my 2 years worth of savings (I was a poor college student) for a camera I didn't know how to use, I looked at "pro" cameras and their prices and I thought those were just ridiculous.

Now, years later, shelling out another few years worth of savings for a 5D with some glass, I looked at how much I spent on what grew to be a hobby and the only reaction is just "Meh"

On the side note, I honestly don't see a reason to get a 50d/60d camera at all. You either shoot with a rebel because you're learning and you can't afford anything else, or you save up, you know what your rebel limitations are, and you go get a 7D or a 5D. Back when I was looking for an upgrade 50/60D was just never enough to go up a tier.

I mean put some L glass on that rebel and it won't disappoint with IQ. Is 60D better for photos? Nah not really. All around stats on it are closer to a semi pro dslr but they're not really there. While you can compare a rebel to a 60D, between 60D and 7D for example, there is just no comparison.
I am actually interested if someone upgraded a rebel to 50/60D, why'd they do it. Maybe throwing 50D into the mix isn't really fair, it's a much better camera than 60D and when it came out, it was basically as high up as 7D is now so upgrading an XTi to 50D was worth it, but with these new rebels and with 60D..I am not sure.

I dunno, If the T4i was going to be priced closer to the T3i, then I could see the T2i and T3i dropping a bit more, but with the price spread as it is, if they do, I don't think it will be much. How long has the T2i been around, and it's only $100 less than the T3i. If the T4i were $849 with a lens, then it'd span the same difference across the models like the T2i and T3i, but it $849 for the body only.

For me, upgrading from a 400d to a 40d a couple of years back was totally worth it. I loved that 40d, it was solid as a rock, had good AF and frame rate, and the controls and handling are what really set it apart. I can't emphasise enough how useful the two-dial control system is compared to the rebels.
I do see your point though, that now the upgrade to 60d over 600d is less significant. Back then, by upgrading I also got live view, better viewfinder, an extra stop of high ISO performance and a couple of other little upgrades.

It seems that the entry level cameras are starting to bump up to the mid level cameras in terms of the technology employed in them to the point it may not make sense to spend the price premium for the mid level camera...for now.

This sort of trend happens a lot with electronics/computers in general but eventually the upper level hardware gets a big tech bump, then the med level and you fall back into the groove of having the distinct three tiers that separate the levels for a while and it all kind of repeats over and over.

well cams like D800 and 5D are also starting to step on their masters toes with D800's metering system from D4 and 5D's AF system from 1DX

Am I the only one who thinks a touch screen is a stupid idea? I wouldn't buy this camera just because of that. I don't understand how a touch screen can be better than the easy to use buttons and a scroll wheel and besides all that who wants a bunch of fingerprints, smudges, and scratches all over their display?

RyanS said:
Am I the only one who thinks a touch screen is a stupid idea? I wouldn't buy this camera just because of that. I don't understand how a touch screen can be better than the easy to use buttons and a scroll wheel and besides all that who wants a bunch of fingerprints, smudges, and scratches all over their display?

But it might be able to do quiet adjustments during video mode!

-ken Turner

RyanS said:

But it might be able to do quiet adjustments during video mode!

-ken Turner

Or even better, don't use the touch screen if you don't want to.
They didn't eliminate any controls, just added the touchscreen.

Or you could always not buy the camera because it has a touch screen. And although you don't have to use it, it goes against your principles.

Most reactions

Back