Canon T4i (650D)

Maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 is another drawback of T4i. 60D gives more flexibility in DoF control. Why can't they just implement 1/8000 in T4i? Also, having independent controls of aperture and shutter speed instead of having one dial and a toggle switch button is much preferable.

9 cross type AF points is a big jump (I forget if the 600D has them too I've not looked at rebel features in a long while).

600D has 9 as well.

The 600D (aka T3i) does have 9 AF points, but only the center point is "cross type". The other AF points focus in one axis only. The 60D has all cross-type points... as does the new 650D (aka T4i).

hukim0531 said:
Maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 is another drawback of T4i. 60D gives more flexibility in DoF control. Why can't they just implement 1/8000 in T4i? Also, having independent controls of aperture and shutter speed instead of having one dial and a toggle switch button is much preferable.

Because this is a T4i, not a 60D

-ken Turner

sovietdoc said:
***UPDATED posts with prices.

5D III doesnt have touch controls or a swivel LCD screen. 5D III can't continuously AF on any given point while shooting a movie (maybe I just didn't read the manual well enough but I never figured it out)

So are you saying the 650D is better than a 5DIII?

-ken Turner

sovietdoc said:
***UPDATED posts with prices.

5D III doesnt have touch controls or a swivel LCD screen. 5D III can't continuously AF on any given point while shooting a movie (maybe I just didn't read the manual well enough but I never figured it out)

So are you saying the 650D is better than a 5DIII?

-ken Turner

In the ways I've pointed out, yes. That's if you primarily do movie shooting, which then begs a question, why did you buy a dslr?

Agreed. I wish they'd make a caerma that has all the movie stuff removed and take the savings from that and put it back into the camera to beef up the other capabilities. Like, take the T3i, remove all the movie capabilities, then bump it to Digic 5 processing, larger buffer and FPS, higher AEB shot count (selectable), more AF points or at lest have more cross types, etc...something along those lines.

I'm interested in a DSLR for taking photos, not movies.

EDL said:
Agreed. I wish they'd make a caerma that has all the movie stuff removed and take the savings from that and put it back into the camera to beef up the other capabilities. Like, take the T3i, remove all the movie capabilities, then bump it to Digic 5 processing, larger buffer and FPS, higher AEB shot count (selectable), more AF points or at lest have more cross types, etc...something along those lines.

I'm interested in a DSLR for taking photos, not movies.

You just listed pretty much everything the T4i has. .

-ken Turner

Yes, but look at the price on it. How much cheaper would it be if all the movie stuff was stripped out?

Probably not much if any cheaper.

Remember video mode is mostly only using the hardware already in the camera for stills shooting and liveview. It's not just playing the liveview its recording it and letting you vary the settings instead of forcing you to always wide open aperture and no shutter speed variation.

It's just building upon what is already present in the camera itself. Plus remember that the price of these units isn't dictated by content so much as it is by what the market can sustain at that market band. The development of these cameras isn't cutting edge, that is reserved for the higher featured cameras; these ones are made with the tech handed down from them; about the only area that will actually be unique for them is work on auto mode controls (eg sports and macro mode) as well as some interface design changes.

True, but it takes programming to use that hardware as a video capture device and I don't know that programming is all that is needed to do video?. How much work went into the AF in video mode? Touch screen technology isn't cutting edge tech. It might be ignorance on my part, but I honestly don't see what the T4i has to warrant a $250 price premium over a T3i (basing current pricing on the T3i body and T4i body). I understand the new 18-135 lens costs more than the 18-55.

Put Digic 5, more cross points on the AF and 5 or 7 shot AEB in the T3i, strip the video capabilities and sell it for $700-$725 and I'd snap one up in a heart beat.

I hear you though. It's just easy for one person to envision what they'd personally prefer. :p

True, but it takes programming to use that hardware as a video capture device and I don't know that programming is all that is needed to do video?. How much work went into the AF in video mode? Touch screen technology isn't cutting edge tech. It might be ignorance on my part, but I honestly don't see what the T4i has to warrant a $250 price premium over a T3i (basing current pricing on the T3i body and T4i body). I understand the new 18-135 lens costs more than the 18-55.

Put Digic 5, more cross points on the AF and 5 or 7 shot AEB in the T3i, strip the video capabilities and sell it for $700-$725 and I'd snap one up in a heart beat.

I hear you though. It's just easy for one person to envision what they'd personally prefer. :p

There is no way simply removing the video capabilities would have brought it down to that price point. Regardless, the development on the video side is already done so its a moot point. You can't undo that cost now.

Overread said:
Probably not much if any cheaper.

Remember video mode is mostly only using the hardware already in the camera for stills shooting and liveview. It's not just playing the liveview its recording it and letting you vary the settings instead of forcing you to always wide open aperture and no shutter speed variation.

It's just building upon what is already present in the camera itself. Plus remember that the price of these units isn't dictated by content so much as it is by what the market can sustain at that market band. The development of these cameras isn't cutting edge, that is reserved for the higher featured cameras; these ones are made with the tech handed down from them; about the only area that will actually be unique for them is work on auto mode controls (eg sports and macro mode) as well as some interface design changes.

Correct. Video mode is using things the camera is actually already capable of. Thays why a hacked 50d can take video

Anybody know when this is released? I'm waiting for it to come out so the price of the t3i drops and I can get that instead. I can't justify the price of the t4i for my needs

I doubt the T3i is going to drop much any time soon. Canon just dropped it $50 a couple weeks ago on their site (unless that was a temp thing). Most places the T3i is running around $749.99.

If you are looking to purchase soon (like tonight!), HHGregg (if you have that store near you) is having an 11% off sale on everything (on web orders only though, but you can get in-store pick up for no shipping costs). They have the T3i kit for $749.99, then take off 11% so price comes to $667.49 for the kit. That's standard T2i price territory.

The sale is over tomorrow morning at 9:00AM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back