Canon to Nikon lens adapters

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just ordered a D-90 with two kit lenses. I have two Canon primes (28mm f2.8 & 50mm 1.4) from my old F-1 slr. They have an FD mount (there is also a red s.s.c. engraved on the lens.) It would be nice to use these lenses on the DSLR for bokeh. I went to B&H and they don't have a FD to D-90 adapter. Should I assume that if B&H doesn't have it, it doesn't exist? If anybody knows of such an adapter, could you let me know where to find it?

Thanks as always, Tom Beard

Doubt there is one, or at least one that will work well. I would sell em and get the nikon 50 1.8 or 1.4 if it were me.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Darrel seems to have a lot of experience using older different-brand lenses on your dSLR. You might PM him.

The old Canon FD mount bodies are thinner, flange to film, than Nikon bodies. As a result adapters are problematic. There are two choices:

1. The adapter is a simple tube with the appropriate flanges. This will extend the Canon lens further from the film/sensor that it would be on a Canon body and thus won't focus to infinity. In fact, a short lens like the 28 won't focus to any usable distance other than extreme closeup. A 50 would also only work for small closeup subjects.

2. The adapter is effectively a tele extender. This is what the adapter in one of the earlier replies is. It has a lens that functions as a low power tele extender (possibly as low a 1.1x) allowing proper infinity focus to be maintained. This will, of course, affect image quality.

And, I believe you will have neither auto focus nor metering.

However, the web site claims you will have auto exposure in Av mode.

There are a few adapters that have a single-element lens in them that will allow mounting of a Canon FD mount lens onto the adapter, and that can be mounted to a Nikon body. This is the best-looking one currently available to adapt FD lenses to Nikon.

CANON FD Lens to NIKON SLR Mount Adapter Infinity focus - eBay (item 230342694375 end time Dec-08-09 08:15:00 PST)

It's relatively affordable. The ONLY digital system that is adaptable to Canon FD lenses without the use of an adapter with glass in it is the 4/3 mount, which can infinity focus almost any lens for any 35mm slr system.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back