Canon vs Nikon: a very old conflict

Eh, don't get me wrong there are some decent older lenses that are good, but the ability to use some cheap 30+ year old glass isn't as important as the ability to use a nice L lens on my still camera then switch it over to a 4k video camera is amazing.
Thats only a shortterm advantage, though. Obviously Nikon will come out with 4K sooner or later, too. Well, I'm not holding my breath about that right now, but in 2 years pretty much everybody will have 4K - thats the time it takes to develop a new camera and there wont be new cameras without 4K.

No I mean using canon glass on dedicated video cameras that shoot 4k.

Blackmagic Design URSA Mini 4.6K Digital CINECAMURSAM46K/EF B&H

I wonder how many folks walking into Best Buy or Costco are asking themselves....'hmmm, when did they last change their mount?'.

pretty easy discussion really.

Nikon>Canon :popcorn:

My dads 70-250 tamron from around 1986 work on my d5100, course theres no autofocus but it works fine.

Advice on updating camera Dx or FX ( Genuine advise) | Photography Forum

Tamron made a great range of lenses that were designed to fit just about any camera. Getting a new adaptall2 mount for the lens would enable it to fit the EOS mount. It won't fit the current canon bodies using the original FD mount.
For those interested in adapting lenses the Nikon mount has a particularly long rear flange distance making infinity focus impossible with other SLR mounts, while the EOS mount allows adapters to most SLR mounts including Nikon & M42 but not the FD!
FWIW the Pentax K mount is another that is still compatible with earlier lenses.

There's no "brand vs. brand" comparison. It really comes down to a "model vs. model" comparison. [...]
True with compact cameras, wrong with system cameras.

It's still true of system cameras. Would you consider a "brand vs brand" comparison to be fair if we are comparing the entry level model of one brand to the flagship model of another? It really does matter specifically which body models you are comparing.

"System" just brings the lenses, etc. into the mix.

Really tho at the end of the day all the photos I like I don't care what camera was used just how the image came out. Until it gets to the point where you can immediately tell the brand of a camera from the resulting image I don't think it really matters.

When I bought my first SLR at a Ritz's camera I was looking at the entre level ones. After looking at both Nikon & Canon models I decided on the Canon model.... Simply because it was on sale $100.00 off.

My god. Discussing Canon vs Nikon in order to get better photographs is the same as discussing Word vs Openoffice to write better novels.

If the OP has to ask this, then his experience is minimal and any differences between Canon and Nikon aren't noticeable.
Sorry I must totally disagree!!!
Nikon has a BIG "N" on the beginning of its name and if you didnt know Canon has a BIG "C".............thats a HUGE difference, everybody know that :1219:

There's no "brand vs. brand" comparison. It really comes down to a "model vs. model" comparison. [...]
True with compact cameras, wrong with system cameras.

It's still true of system cameras. Would you consider a "brand vs brand" comparison to be fair if we are comparing the entry level model of one brand to the flagship model of another? It really does matter specifically which body models you are comparing.

"System" just brings the lenses, etc. into the mix.
Thats a highly constructed and nonrealistic counterexample. You will hardly ever find anybody who discusses "do I want the entry level model of system A or the pro level model of system B".

Also, even if you buy a lower camera of a system today, you might end up buying a higher model of that system in a couple years. So the presence and quality of such higher models is important even if you dont want to buy them right now.

So yeah, a system is really a system. You compare them as a whole. How many lines of cameras are there and how good are they, how many lenses and how good are they, how about other accessoires like flash, how quickly does the company adapt to new technology, do I even think the company will prevail etc etc etc. Tons of aspects you wont have with a compact camera.

For example a person might decide they want a Canon 5D Mark 3 instead of a Nikon D750 because with Canon they have the option to buy the Canon 7D Mark 2 later and have a high performance APS-C camera for wildlife. Or they will go Canon again because their Tilt/Shift lenses are obviously better and Nikon so far shows no ambition to fix that. Or they go with Nikon because they prefer Nikons flash system. Etc etc etc.

My god. Discussing Canon vs Nikon in order to get better photographs is the same as discussing Word vs Openoffice to write better novels.
Offtopic, but for the record: Open Office is now named Libre Office.

Thats because the "Open Office" project itself apparently is now commercialized (despite its name) so a free version was spawned from the last free version, and called Libre Office, and ever since free development continued on that.

Also Open Office seems to be pretty dead. Not too surprising.

Open Office and Libre Office are not the same. Open Office is now under the umbrella of Apache Software Foundation, not belongs to Sun (or Oracle) anymore. (however, OpenOffice is behind Libre as far as development goes.)

Nikon has a BIG "N" on the beginning of its name and if you didnt know Canon has a BIG "C".............thats a HUGE difference, everybody know that :1219:

Since in Alphabetical order ...... C is always ahead of N ..... so ..... do you mean ....... :icon_rolleyes:

NotePads pretty sweet

Most reactions

New Topics

Back