Canon vs Nikon: a very old conflict

Nikon has a BIG "N" on the beginning of its name and if you didnt know Canon has a BIG "C".............thats a HUGE difference, everybody know that :1219:

Since in Alphabetical order ...... C is always ahead of N ..... so ..... do you mean ....... :icon_rolleyes:
Yeah but N is made of 3 sticks while the C is just a poor hunched caracter, the N can beat the poor C easily with these 3 sticks so............Nikon wins, its better.......and I think this is the best and most logical answer you will find here :586:

Nippon Kogaku (which later changed its name to....Nikon) is the company that Canon turned to when Canon came out with its first camera models...they hired Nikon to make and supply the lenses for their new brand of cameras. Not making this up. Canon always knew where to look for good optical designers and top flight optical manufacturing and assembly...Nikon plants! Canon finally got its own lens line going about three years after they started producing rangefinders, and in the same year, 1948, Nikon began producing 35mm rangefinder cameras, and Canon switched out Nikkors for their own Canon-branded lenses.

Canon's own web materials try to minimize the Nikon lens connection, but they do acknowledge it.Gotta love the shi++y, low-resolution photo of the early Canon rangefinder, deliberately making the NIKKOR lens information on the front ring of the lens totally illegible! In those days, the honor of the lens manufacturer's brand and model number was PLAINLY and BOLDLY engraved on the front of most lenses, wayyyyy out front, where customers could easily see what the lens "was".

History Hall - Canon Camera Story 1946-1954

Doesn't surprise me. Most of Japan's major cities and areas of manufacturing were destroyed by fire and atomic bombing. Lots of companies in countries that suffered heavy bombing often banded together to start production again after the war.

You can often find things that were made in that time period that have components and branding from competing companies.

To heck with both Cannon and Knee-con/Nigh-kon whatever. Both are too often misspelled or pronounced incorrectly.
I will just stick with Kodiak :cower:

Nippon Kogaku (which later changed its name to....Nikon) is the company that Canon turned to when Canon came out with its first camera models...they hired Nikon to make and supply the lenses for their new brand of cameras. Not making this up. Canon always knew where to look for good optical designers and top flight optical manufacturing and assembly...Nikon plants! Canon finally got its own lens line going about three years after they started producing rangefinders, and in the same year, 1948, Nikon began producing 35mm rangefinder cameras, and Canon switched out Nikkors for their own Canon-branded lenses.

Canon's own web materials try to minimize the Nikon lens connection, but they do acknowledge it.Gotta love the shi++y, low-resolution photo of the early Canon rangefinder, deliberately making the NIKKOR lens information on the front ring of the lens totally illegible! In those days, the honor of the lens manufacturer's brand and model number was PLAINLY and BOLDLY engraved on the front of most lenses, wayyyyy out front, where customers could easily see what the lens "was".

History Hall - Canon Camera Story 1946-1954
This means Canons best lenses are the ones made by Nikon............figures!

WW II was actually a blessing in disguise for the Japanese camera industry; older German brands Contax and Leica were pretty quickly surpassed by lower-cost Japanese-designed and Japanese-built cameras. The Contax line was the world's most-advanced rangefinder, ahead of Leica until the M3 hit the streets in 1954; Nikon decided to build what was basically a Contax knockoff camera system, beginning in 1948. By the time of the Korean conflict, Nikon's lenses and cameras were discovered by American cameramen who were sent to serve in Korea, and the company's fame spread like wildfire. The Russians occupied the Zeiss works in Jena...this article shows it best, look at the image of the Zeiss plant in Jena in the 1947 US Naval photo! The Zeiss Ikon Contax Camera Repair Website - The Contax II Jena Camera

The 1947 Peerless catalog is interesting...German camera-makers had basically been brought almost to utter ruins by WW II...for the Japanese, the war was a hidden blessing for their nascent camera and lens-making industries. After WWII, high-grade 35mm camera production had been severely curtailed in Europe. Nikon took off fairly fast after WW II and into the 1950's. By 1959, they lifted the camera industry to the very first comprehensive 35mm SLR system with the introduction of the F. If you've seen a European Exakta of that age, you'll see what a brick-like clunker it was. Really crude, 1930's technology in body and lens design. The Japanese really innovated after WW II, displacing all other countries' camera making as far as innovating. THey eventually buried USA and European camera makers, for the most part.

Put one in your hand. Put the other in your hand. Buy the one that feels best.

Put one in your hand. Put the other in your hand. Buy the one that feels best.
Or Put one in your hand. Put the other in your hand and then buy the one that say's NIKON :586:

Hmm.

As a german, I would have to buy LEICA or ZEISS if names would be the criterion.

.... I will just stick with Kodiak :cower:
Isn't that a type of bear ?
or a type of bacon ?

I prefer my iPhone camera
doesn't Apple outsell Nikon and Canon combined ?

Last edited:
Uhh.. Okay. Now what I realized that I have to narrow down the topic to models. I checked some models that fit my budget... for now.
Canon T6S or T6i
Nikon D5500 or D5300
I am happy if there is any other choice with few more bucks.
My purpose of buying camera - landscape photography, sometime I visit forests as well... and off course of my 3 year son :lemo::lemo:
I have gone through some videos in YouTube, some technical comparisons, reviews. Some people are saying Nikon models are good some people prefer Canon models... at the end, it is increasing my confusion.

Solarflare said:
Hmm.

As a german, I would have to buy LEICA or ZEISS if names would be the criterion.

Zeiss by Cosina.

Uhh.. Okay. Now what I realized that I have to narrow down the topic to models. I checked some models that fit my budget... for now.
Canon T6S or T6i
Nikon D5500 or D5300
I am happy if there is any other choice with few more bucks.
My purpose of buying camera - landscape photography, sometime I visit forests as well... and off course of my 3 year son :lemo::lemo:
I have gone through some videos in YouTube, some technical comparisons, reviews. Some people are saying Nikon models are good some people prefer Canon models... at the end, it is increasing my confusion.
My advice: Start a new thread. This one has gone way off-topic, you probably won’t get much help here anymore. Get a clean slate with a new thread and specify your budget, needs and uses. Don’t mind the brand of the camera, until you get to search for lenses that are useful for your needs and uses.

Of the four cameras you mentioned now, my personal favorite is the D5500, but that shouldn’t mean much to you. You should also look around for other cameras that may work well for you, some would be smaller and lighter, and have matching lenses that are also smaller and lighter, without any sacrifices. Again, though, that largely depends on your budget, needs and potential uses of the camera, so define those better and I’m sure we can all be of better assistance to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back