What's new

Canon vs. Nikon

cccott3

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 3, 2011
Messages
148
Reaction score
3
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a canon rebel xs and my sister has a nikon d3000 that she NEVER uses so I could totally take over. Which one is more valuable?
 
which ever one that has expensive lenses :)
 
Not sure what's so funny???
 
Your sister.

bigthumb.gif
 
They are both lower end makes--so the are about the same. Which one has the nicer set of lenses? Or are they both with the kit lenses?
 
Master both!
 
Not sure what's so funny???
If you reread your question, it would appear as if you are asking whether your cameras or your sister is more valuable?? haha.

Anyway to your question, Canon/Nikon flip a coin and choose one. I chose Nikon because I just preferred the ergonomics, the Canon rebel line to me felt like fragile plastic toy cameras, whereas Nikon low end bodies don't give off that vibe so much. They are both great brands.
 
The Nikon has color aware metering, and spot metering mode. Both are important if you want to take photos of people.

The Canon XS has neither.

I vote Nikon D3000.

The Nikon D3000 has 9 auto focus points and the center focus point is a cross type focus point. (more accurate than the other 8 regular focus points.) Also, when using the Spot metering mode the spot meted is concurrent with the focus point you have selected. The Canon XS only has 7 focus points, none of them the more accurate cross-type points.

IIRC you can't manually control the built-in flash in the Canon XS.

I vote Nikon D3000.
 
Last edited:
I agree the Rebels don't feel too good in the hand (had the same opinion of it myself), even though I ended up buying a Canon (60D) - the Nikons at that level felt a lot better ergonomically for me. That said, it's the lenses which will make the difference.

Sidenote: if you want to get rid of your sister, feel free to send her down here - especially if she's one of the girls in your avatar! :cheer:
 
Ok thanks for your input :) I will probably just use them both and see which suits me. I think I will keep my sister as well and my pic is me on the right and a friend on the left.
 
Between a Rebel XS and a Nikon D3000...clearly the Nikon is the better camera, in many ways. I would definitely, for a beginner especially, suggest the Nikon over the Canon, just because of how incredibly dumbed-down Canon made the Rebels. I had a Rebel that I got for a good price...I gave it to my niece for her wedding...I kept my older Nikon D70 because it was a better "camera" and a better "picture-taker". You know, one of the most annoying things about Canon has ALWAYS been the way Canon dumbs-down and deliberately disables features and functions in its lowest-end cameras (like the Rebel series going back to the 1990's), in a deliberate effort to try and force buyers into higher-priced cameras to get the features they deserve. The ORIGINAL Digital Rebel was a good example of a camera where MULTIPLE features were deliberately DIS-ABLED, by software; the famous "Russsian Hack" allowed users to "crack" or "hack" their Rebels to gain the features canon wanted them to have to spend another $699 to have access to...meanwhile, Nikon's D70 on the other hand, had ALL its features fully enabled, and the camera was as good as Nikon could make it for the price point. So, just an example of how Canon views its customers as dumb, sheep-like "end-users", and not as valuable customers.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom