Canon Vs Nikon

Moni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a very good Canon or Nikon digital SLR.
Can you guyes quickly suggest me which models are better for professional-level photography and compare in between them a little???

I think everyone could debate this to the death of it. Really, just try each out and see which you prefer in my opinion

But just for the record.. Canon is better.;)

Thanks Peanuts, but there is no chance for me to check it out...I've requested a friend to send it from abroad and he is not an expert in this field. He just said me to give him the model no. and then he'll try to find that for me and send!

MONI!!!!?????

You here?

Canon EOS 350D

I so wish for that one for Christmas myself.

Unfortunately, we can't pick the camera for you. We can only give you recommendations.

Go into a shop and pick up the following cameras, read their specs and fit one to your budget.
Canon - 300D, 350D(new model of 300D), 20D, 10D, 1D
Nikon - D50, D70, D70s(new model of D70),..... and I dunno what comes after that in the nikon range.... coz I'm a canon girl.

Yeah Cori :) I'm here :D...I want a new camera to start all again...and so, I want a good one to start with again :)

Thanks Mey ... I'm looking for them...but unfortunatedly they're not well-available in Bangladesh market...so, I'm going through their spec. from the site :D

Thanks again :D

What is the current system that you have? If it is Canon, you have the option of choosing between 20D or the 350D. If its Nikon, D50 or D70s. The said models have happy users. Nikon just released their D200. You might also want to check it out too.

Detailed reviews on these bodies can be found at dpreview.com

What are you planning to shoot?
What is your budget?
Do you have any lenses already?
What experience do you have in photography?

Ahhh wow you're in bangladesh! that's awesome.

One thing to consider that you won't be able to tell really easily from a spec sheet is the weight of each camera.

When I bought my camera, I was trying to decide between the Canon 350D and the Nikon D70s. The nikon is about 100g heavier than the canon I think from memory, but that 100g adds up to a lot affter you've been carrying it around all day. And the sheer size of the nikon was a huge turn off for me. I want to be able to carry my camera around and not be worried about knocking half the crowd over when I turn around.

DocFrankenstein said:
What are you planning to shoot?
What is your budget?
Do you have any lenses already?
What experience do you have in photography?

^very important. im guessing by 'professional-level' you mean top of the line. if so, go for the canon 1dsMkII or the nikon d2x. Out of those two, the 1dsMkII is the better one IMO. Of course it is around 7k USD, so that might pose a problem. Mid-range dSLRS are very good, and many 'professionals' use them (although that doesnt really matter). For mid-range, check out the canon 20d or the brand new nikon d200. the canon is around $1300 from most places (you can get it for less) and the nikon is around $1500 i believe, or $1800, I forget. If money is more of an issue, look at the nikon d70s or the canon 350d. Both are excellent cameras. The 350d is smaller, and a little cheaper, but the d70s is a more professional camera. Both you can get for under 1000 USD. If you just want something cheap but nice, go for the nikon d50 or the canon 300d. It seems a little pointless to get the 300d though, since it's only a little bit less than the 350d, which is much better.

that might narrow it down a little tiny bit, but what you are planning to use the camera for is very important in choosing the right one.

nd I dunno what comes after that in the nikon range.... coz I'm a canon girl.

d2x? d1x? Not sure. Need john (steudle) in here.

In order of price/performance: D50, D70/D70s, D100 (phasing out) D200, D2H, and the big daddy D2X. Prices range from about 7-800 all the way up to 5K. At the high end, the D2X reviews about equally with the high end Canon MK xyz something or other (just kidding guys) for a few thousand less. Pixels size is smaller resulting in finer detail, but it is not a full frame chip like the Canon. Both type chips have issues with extreme wide angle lenses for differing reasons. At the low end, the D50 is a fine, small reasonably priced camera that can hold its own with the Canon competitor. The new D200 is a 12 MP camera that has recieved good reviews so far. I would go to a camera shop, try them both out and buy what fits your hand and eye the best. Don't listen to what you hear the salesman say or how your friends love this or that. Just get what suits you the best. If you can rent one of each at your price point for a weekend, try that and see what develops. Sorry, bad pun.

Thanks for you nice suggestions!

Yes, I should have clear few things before:

1. I'm not a professional, I'm a student and done some short courses in photography from different local clubs and won some prizes :)

2. I never used any SLR before, just few point and shoot and...now I'm working with Canon PowerShot!

3. My budget: I can't afford more than 1000 $
it would be better if I can a good one less than that!

4. By professional I meant: I love photo journalism, macro shots and landscape or architectural shots (both interior & exterior)

5. Actually I want something that will help me to reach upto professional level one day :)

Thanks to you all again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back